Sky Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky Portal

When using a VRAY light, in a window as a portal, is the light inside or out? Or, does it matter?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJm8eZaEWYQ&feature=plcp

This video wont play for me at the moment but I believe there is a demo on how to properly set them up at some point during the video.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Just wondering, now that the question has been resolved (sorry if this is a hijack) but does everyone here just put portals on a few main large windows? Or does everyone put portals on every single window in a scene?
      Maya 2020/2022
      Win 10x64
      Vray 5

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
        Just wondering, now that the question has been resolved (sorry if this is a hijack) but does everyone here just put portals on a few main large windows? Or does everyone put portals on every single window in a scene?
        There is no general rule about that. If you are happy with the illumination by using portal lights only on main-large windows you can leave the small ones without a portal-light - this will save you some render-time and optimizing-time. But if you need more light into your scene - you have to use every chance - and in this situation small windows can help you a lot.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          When using a VRAY light, in a window as a portal, is the light inside or out? Or, does it matter?
          There is a sensitive difference between inside and outside portal-lights.

Outside portal lights (where the portal-light is behind the window) - produce more physically correct end-result but it is noisier and darker than inside-portal-light, cause the light pass through window and eventually other blocking geometry as blinds curtains and etc.

Inside Portal Lights (the light is in front of the window) - produce more illuminated scene and less amount of noise - the render-times will be lower because Vray will need less samples. The downside is that the result at some situations is somehow unnatural.

In general I always start with outside portal-lights , and If I am not satisfied with the illumination I move to inside portal lights.
          In some situation the combination of both could be the best choose.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X