Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray Light / LightMtl Opacity - Creating highlights only, real Softbox-like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like having the intensity of the light separate to the reflection. Gives me more control over tweaking

Comment

Could you explain your workflow?
      I dont get it yet but seems interesting.
      www.J-D-I.co.jp

Comment

Sure, I turn the reflection off on all the V-Ray plane lights and have them sit just inside the enclosure. I then apply a V-Ray light material to each side wall directly behind the light. Both the V-Ray light material and the V-Ray plane light have an EXR texture of a softbox fabric. This way I can control the intensity of the light and the reflection separately. This doesn't really get around your problem of blacks parts showing in the reflection but in my case I use the full area of the EXR as there are no black/non illuminated areas.

Comment

that output map trick is a life saver.....
          bump in case youre stuck doing studio renders

Comment

This shouldn't disappear in the depths of the forum, so I'll chime in to say that I just discovered this thread and it saved my ass. Thanks!

BTW, I think the easiest solution to this would be to just add max's standard "output" rollout to the VRaySoftbox map, so you can just tick the "Alpha from RGB Intensity" in there, without the need for a separate Output map.

Comment

Originally posted by Laserschwert View Post
              This shouldn't disappear in the depths of the forum, so I'll chime in to say that I just discovered this thread and it saved my ass. Thanks!

BTW, I think the easiest solution to this would be to just add max's standard "output" rollout to the VRaySoftbox map, so you can just tick the "Alpha from RGB Intensity" in there, without the need for a separate Output map.
              yep, waiting for this feature too!
              Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
              www.AddYourLight.com
              Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

You can also use the composite map if it's easier
                admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                  You can also use the composite map if it's easier
                  well, it would be easier to just be able to make the softbox itself have an alpha channel. but its a small inconvenience I guess
                  Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                  www.AddYourLight.com
                  Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCutler View Post
                    Sure, I turn the reflection off on all the V-Ray plane lights and have them sit just inside the enclosure. I then apply a V-Ray light material to each side wall directly behind the light. Both the V-Ray light material and the V-Ray plane light have an EXR texture of a softbox fabric. This way I can control the intensity of the light and the reflection separately. This doesn't really get around your problem of blacks parts showing in the reflection but in my case I use the full area of the EXR as there are no black/non illuminated areas.
                    there is specular contribution spinner in VRay light options. easier setup.
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
                      there is specular contribution spinner in VRay light options. easier setup.
                      There wasn't in 2012
                      KCTOO - Directors

Comment

heh, missed the sudden 3 year gap in the post, sorry.
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

"Multiply Color By Opacity" doesn't do what you want?
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                          X