Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCS-Colors with Gamma Workflow

Hi Vrayfolks,

I need to reproduce a ncs color correctly so i convert to rgb and use the vray color map. but it´s way to light, when setting the gamma to 2,2 et even gets lighter, when I use 1/gamma=0,45 nothing happens.

I use the linear workflow settings (gamma 2.2, affect color selectors and material, bitmap input 2.2, output 1, color mapping gamma 2.2, vrfb srgb off)

Somebody having an idea what´s wrong?
    Matthias

Please note that when using 3ds Max gamma along with V-Ray color mapping gamma you will get double gamma output.
    Therefore it is recommendable to either use 3ds max native gamma or stick to the Color mapping settings.
    Best regards,
    Zdravko Keremidchiev
    Technical Support Representative

Comment

sorry i did not descibe it exactly:
      vray color mapping: exponential, dark:1 bright:1 gamma:2.2
      max preferences gamma:2.2 affect color and mat editor, input 2.2, output 1
      vray framebuffer srgb off
      converting ncs-colours to rgb resulting in much too bright colors
      Matthias

Comment

There´s no real point in using Max internal Gamma 2.2 when you don´t render linear wich you don´t do looking at your color mapping settings.
        You should use Gamma 2.2 only! as texture correction (99% of Gamma 2.2 users doing it wrong anyway because they use it to brighten up their scenes as described in dozens of terrible tutorials).
        The best way to match colors is probably by trial and error. There are so many factors that influence the colors of an object
        like a yellow sunlight a blue sky, White Balance, Color Mapping/Exposure, GI from other objects, shadows.. and so on.

Comment

vray color mapping: exponential, dark:1 bright:1 gamma:2.2
          max preferences gamma:2.2 affect color and mat editor, input 2.2, output 1
          In this case you have to either disable 3ds max gamma or set the V-Ray color mapping gamma to 1. Otherwise you will get double gamma, one time form 3ds max and one form V-Ray.
          Also to get a proper color please use Linear multiply color mapping type. The exponential type clamps out all values above 1.
          Best regards,
          Zdravko Keremidchiev
          Technical Support Representative

Comment

hmmmm, many linear workflow tutorials with different gamma-settings..... so i keep my max gamma settings but use linear and gamma=1 in vray color mapping?
            Matthias

Comment

Keep it as you had, but set the exponential to linear, and turn on srgb in your VFB.
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

Working...
              X