Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

double sided glass not rendering correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double sided glass not rendering correctly?

Hi,

I never had any problems rendering glass in V-ray, but with this model I can't get it to look right. It is double sided glass, so there is air in between 2 layers of glass. This is how it should look, you cannot see the actual thickness of the layers of glass:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bodum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	877097

This is the render:
    I tried every setting I could imagine, increasing the max depth, reflect on backside, used various fog and bias settings, changed cutoff settings, etc... Note the effect of the glass thickness, normally you don't see the inner surface of a glass layer (see picture).

Name:	bodum01.jpg
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	877098

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Wouter
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

What are your current material settings?

Comment

These ar the material settings:

Name:	glass.jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	846629
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

The black stripe along the side of the real one looks like it's refracting a black object out of shot - might be worth changing your environment to something with a bit of variety in it to see if you're getting the correct result but it just looks boring?

Comment

I know you mentioned this, but shouldn't Max Depth be at least be 8 for both Reflection and Refraction?

-Alan

Comment

Also make sure the Fresnel IOR for reflections and refractions are locked together; if they are different, the internal reflections in the glass might not be correct.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Maybe a clearer ref:

Name:	e952_pavina_double_wall_glass_inuse.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	846647

Comment

My try:

Name:	chuch4.jpg
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	846667

Have you done any more work on this flip?

Comment

Hi! Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I have, and it seems I have been messing up some things trying to troubleshoot it quickly, then forgetting to reset the settings etc... I got it working in the end, when using enough max depth, using vlado's suggestion etc... Indeed a lot has also to do with the environment, but I needed this plain white look.

maybe I'll try to render it again in a normal hdri environment, just for fun.

Chicoone, did you model it in max? Did you model the liquid larger than the inner glass surface?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
                    Hi! Thanks for all the replies.

Chicoone, did you model it in max? Did you model the liquid larger than the inner glass surface?

Cheers
                    Yes, I modeled it in Max (lathe modifier) and made the liquid larger than the inner glass surface.

Comment

Working...
                    X