Render Region other than a Sqaure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Region other than a Sqaure

Is it possible to render a region that is not a square.

For instance I am trying to render a series of images that are very high resolution with a square aspect ratio. Lets say 3000 by 3000 for each.. However I only need about half of those pixels. Specifically if you draw a triangle with 2 points touching the bottom corners of the frame and the third touches the middle of the top of the frame, that is the area that is required.

As far as I can tell the only way to accomplish this rendering of the area that is required is to render the entire image, so each render has to calculate and render twice what is needed. Which has to be rendered 8 times per frame, and about 17,000 frames.. So I would rather not have to double that render load.

I was hoping there is essentially a mask you can put into the rendered area that will cut off any calculation and rendering of certain areas of the screen, that would be perfect. But I do not see anything like that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I'm not quite sure what you mean; you can set a region or crop render to whatever rectangle area you want. A blowup render will be constrained to the aspect of your final output, but region and crop modes should be fine.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think he just confused the terms "square" and "rectangle"... as far as I understand, he's asking for non-rectangular render regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stereoscopic_FX View Post
        Is it possible to render a region that is not a square.

For instance I am trying to render a series of images that are very high resolution with a square aspect ratio. Lets say 3000 by 3000 for each.. However I only need about half of those pixels. Specifically if you draw a triangle with 2 points touching the bottom corners of the frame and the third touches the middle of the top of the frame, that is the area that is required.

As far as I can tell the only way to accomplish this rendering of the area that is required is to render the entire image, so each render has to calculate and render twice what is needed. Which has to be rendered 8 times per frame, and about 17,000 frames.. So I would rather not have to double that render load.

I was hoping there is essentially a mask you can put into the rendered area that will cut off any calculation and rendering of certain areas of the screen, that would be perfect. But I do not see anything like that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
        only equiangular quadrilateral is possible - no random shapes. I guess it would be useful to have the ability to 'mask' areas to render for future release? could be really useful.
        Last edited by deflix; 18-03-2013, 05:21 AM.
        Immersive media - design and production
        http://www.felixdodd.com/
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/felixdodd/

Comment

Thank you Deflix.

That is exactly what I am referring to.

Some kind of masking ability (other than a rectangular box) detailing what is being render to limit calculations would a great addition to Vray.

Comment

So you would use black&white image to tell V-Ray where to render, is that what you mean?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Essential. Yes exactly.

Comment

That would be a very useful feature.
                For now just create an object and link it to the front of your camera, creating a custom matte box.
                Apply a black material and make it a vray matte object that ignores lights and GI.
                Done.
                Gavin Jeoffreys
                Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Thanks raven,

That's worth a shot... But will be a bit cumbersome with stereoscopic renders
                  But otherwise great idea.

Thanks.

Comment

Create the first one, place it where you need it.
                    Then align its pivot point to that cameras pivot.
                    Clone then align clone to the second camera using pivot points.
                    The real trick I guess with stereo (I've only toyed with stereo, never done any production), is that it will need to be pretty close to the camera I think.
                    Gavin Jeoffreys
                    Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Sort of like the Priority Map in Brazil R/S:

It's a black and white image, where white is the most prio and black is the least.

Comment

But isn't it a bit cumbersome to switch programs just to choose a render region? How about a normal selection lasso in the VFB? (ideally with "vertices" that can be moved after drawing it, like when you're scrubbing through the animation and see, that you need to make the mask bigger here and there, and you don't have to redraw it completely, just move some vertices)

Comment

Originally posted by Laserschwert View Post
                          But isn't it a bit cumbersome to switch programs just to choose a render region? How about a normal selection lasso in the VFB? (ideally with "vertices" that can be moved after drawing it, like when you're scrubbing through the animation and see, that you need to make the mask bigger here and there, and you don't have to redraw it completely, just move some vertices)
                          I of course meant that Chaosgroup could implement a similar solution.

Comment

There was an request to support multiple render regions in VFB. Is that going to work for you?
                            Best regards,
                            Zdravko Keremidchiev
                            Technical Support Representative

Comment

multiple region and/or b&w map to define render areas would be awesome !!!
                              Jérôme Prévost.
                              SolidRocks, the V-Ray Wizard.
                              http://solidrocks.subburb.com

Comment

Working...
                              X