Stereo render loses 3D with wide angle views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo render loses 3D with wide angle views

When using the Vray stereoscopic helper, or using 2 separate cameras with a wide angle lens, there stereo offset is reduced the closer you get to 180 degree FOV.

For instance if a scene has a camera that is using a super wide angle fish eye lens somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 degrees, and you attempt to render in stereo, the stereo offset is lessened the further you get from the center of the frame to the edge.

Normally this would not be a problem within any normal production. But lets say we have a special venue screen with 3 projector system on a curved screen the wraps around any audience at with a 200 degree FOV. The stereo at 180 degrees from center would be none existent and the stereo beyond 180 would be reversed. It seems the only way around this is to create more than one camera pairs render these passes and stitch them together, this can work.. BUT, if any object gets to close to these camera pairs, there will be a misaligned object in 3D space at the seam of the pairs of cameras..

Can anyone give me an idea for a work around to solve this kind of problem?

I do know how the render can render it properly, and I even understand the math behind it, but I don't know how to implement this into the Vrak SDK. Bit over my head. So I am looking for some alternative solutions before trying to learn SDK land.

Thank you

I'm afraid you'll have to code your own camera (perhaps based on the dome camera source code that comes with the SDK). There is nothing in the standard perspective projection that would work for this.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 19-03-2013, 12:04 PM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado,

I assumed as much just thought I should throw it out there to see if any one knew of another way.
      Ill see what I can to figure out how to code the camera. Maybe I can pick your brain sometime down the line when I get into it.

Comment

Sure; feel free to email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com if you have any questions.

I also meant "dome camera" above, not "dome light"

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I've been trying to do some research on this topic of a 360 degree 3d image/animation

I found this blog by Peter Murphy, http://www.stereopanoramas.com/blog/ which I think has some nice writing about how he creates panoramic 3d images using 2 dslrs. He mentions having to assembly thin vertical slices as the cameras rotate. I wonder how difficult it would be to emulate this through code for a vray camera? Possibly it can be in a cleaner fashion within the digital/virtual space.

My purposes wouldn't be for projection, but for the oculus rift. Using a VR player like this one, http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/, to play 3D 360 degree animations that the viewer could look around in.

!
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Working...
          X