going from MAX 5.1 to 6 with vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going from MAX 5.1 to 6 with vray

i have a scene that has been completely set up and rendered in MAX 5.1 (using vray). i am wondering if i should expect any issues when then opening that same file in MAX 6 and trying to render it.

any known issues when others have done this (i am hoping the list is short)?

thanks.
    sean

make sure you apply the max 6 service update pack......

Comment

I would not render it in 6 if I could avoid it. Why jeoperdise a scene that is ready to render?

D
      Daniel Westlund

Comment

The step from 5 to 6 is not very big. It brings you Vray into the material editor, which is nice, but can cause troubles too. (there are some bugs)

Next, 6 offers only little thinks, like the presets, usefull but after 2 month I do not use them (Presets should be camera or node bound, and rpmanager is still unbeatable).

One of my badest experinces in 6 is that max files are much bigger. Else I haven't done much yet.

robert
        I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

Max5 had Vray as a matrial editor renderer too, you only needed to to specify it manually. Max6 does that automatically, thats all.

File size is larger mainly because Max6 treats most of the scene geometry as polygons now, even if only internally. This quadruples the file size (save a simple sphere with high tesselation as a mesh and alternatively as a polygon object. The file with the polygonal sphere will be 4 times as big).

I agree with you on the presets, they should be camera centric (including environment settings, DOF, AA etc). But this is mainly Max shortcoming, not Vray´s fault I guess.

Stefan
          Stefan Kubicek
          www.keyvis.at

Comment

this is for an animation and the render farm that i am using has all the machines set up with 6. i am only set up here with 5.1, so i wasn't able to open it myself in 6 and test it out.

so far, everything seems to be working fine. we did some sample renders and they came out right.

the render farm did upgrade everything to MAX6 sp1.

thanks,
            sean

Comment

i cant see you having any problems..... we didnt
              Natty
              http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

i had problems opening scene with xfrog objects- it said that there is missind xfrog.dlo, but xfrog.dlo physicaly was in max6 plugins dir but it vas version for max6, which imports xfrogs as mesh, unlike in max5

Comment

Working...
                X