maxscript to change texture path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maxscript to change texture path

is there a maxscript anyone knows of that will change all texture paths to be redefined to a certain location......

I have them spread out over my hard drive and need to define to one folder.

Thanks

Arkitec

well what you can do is simply archive your scene....this will make a zip with all the relelvant bitmaps in it, which you can simply un pack and work from.

or you can manually put them in one place and just add that to your bitmaps paths
    Digital Progression

Comment

thanks DP.

I did do the archive thing however, the path is still showing in the original locations....

Thank you so much for all your help today, of course i am on a huge deadline........its nice to know there are people out there always willing to help....

Thanks again,

Arkitec

Comment

hmm, yeh, it may do because it defaults to looking at the files normal location, but if you want to move the archive to another machine it still works
        Digital Progression

Comment

tools -> more -> bitmap paths

Comment

a freeware tool i use is collect, very helpfull.

http://gravitonic.com/do_download.ph...collect-r4.zip

Collector scans the scene for bitmaps, and copies these to a directory of your choice, updating the materials as well if wished.

works with max 5 too, for max 6 you need a recompile.

Comment

For max6 (similar process to 5)

Click on the "utilities tab", click on "more", click on "Bitmap/photmetric paths".

Click on "edit resiources"

Select all the maps , then click "copy files", and choose a folder that you want to put them in.

And then still with all the maps selected click on "strip all paths", then click on the little square button with the 3 or so dots (at the bottom) then select the folder where you just copied all the maps to and then click on "set path".

Thats it.

Comment

collect does it with on click.
                and it updates your materials as well.

i think it´s usefull when you want to have your scene textures in one folder.
                it sometimes happened that i changed textures that i used in differend scenes. the result was that some scenes looked different when i rendered them again. now when i have a scene finished i use collect to put them in a special folder and archiv this together with the max file.

Comment

DaForce,

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I had no idea that was a defualt tool in Viz.....

Ive used the archive feature before, however, going in manually and resetting the paths for any bitmaps was a hassle.

NOT ANYMORE!

THANK YOU SO MUCH......

Arkitec

Comment

Yeah its a great tool, especially when all your bitmaps are scattered everywhere. Its a real time saver and easy to do.

Glad to help

Comment

Spinoza's soulution sounds better somehow.

---------------------------------------------------
                      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I dont disagree, however, the difference I think is that it is a Viz/Max defualt selection rather than continually adding plugins.

Arkitec

Comment

You may use Hunter as well (footools).
                          It's a powerfull toy for many thins, such as renaming extensions for bitmaps or finding objects on the fly.

Beware of a bug in 5.1 (dunno if they repeated it in 6) with the unwrap modifier and the reflect/refract material of max, their node aren't found the same way and won't be relinked.

For instance, you'll need to switch the maps manually with the reflect/refract and copy/paste a new unwrap modifier (copy uvs) to get rid of the adjustment bitmaps.

...those anoying popups at open scene will fly away.

Comment

Working...
                          X