Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed a forum or something to throw test, workflows and values & critic, but for now i show you my test

Click image for larger version

Name:	compilado_web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	851143

happy hollidays
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arch Pedro A. Solano
    "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
    Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    Follow us on facebook
    Visit us on PSolano

Comment

• What is the difference in using the elements suggested and not the raw versions of them?
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• The raw version displays your reflection pass as if everything was 100% reflective - it needs to be multiplied with the reflection filter to get the visible pass. Because the noise is worked out based on what's visbile the raw passes are misleading as to how much noise is actually in the render.

Comment

• Okay, thanks.
          Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
          The raw version displays your reflection pass as if everything was 100% reflective - it needs to be multiplied with the reflection filter to get the visible pass. Because the noise is worked out based on what's visbile the raw passes are misleading as to how much noise is actually in the render.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Raw versions show the reflections/lighting/etc with their full strength - so it's hard to tell the impact they have on an image.

For example:

If you have a material with very weak, very blurry reflections, rawreflection element will be very noisy. At the same time, the noise will be almost invisible in your rendering (since the reflection amount is very low) and it will not affect your samplerate pass as there will not be enough variance between pixels to cause the aa sampler to shoot more samples.

Looking at the non-raw verison of the element you will see only what you see in your final comp.

Since the final result is all that matters, it makes more sense to focus on the non-raw elements. Otherwise you will be fighting with the noise that doesn't even affect your image.

*that's my take on this, perhaps Grant has a different explanation.

Comment

• cubiclegangster beat me to it

Comment

• I usually use the RAW in post, so I was hoping I could use RAW for both (optimizing and post), but I guess I can't.
                Originally posted by viscorbel View Post
                Raw versions show the reflections/lighting/etc with their full strength - so it's hard to tell the impact they have on an image.

For example:

If you have a material with very weak, very blurry reflections, rawreflection element will be very noisy. At the same time, the noise will be almost invisible in your rendering (since the reflection amount is very low) and it will not affect your samplerate pass as there will not be enough variance between pixels to cause the aa sampler to shoot more samples.

Looking at the non-raw verison of the element you will see only what you see in your final comp.

Since the final result is all that matters, it makes more sense to focus on the non-raw elements. Otherwise you will be fighting with the noise that doesn't even affect your image.

*that's my take on this, perhaps Grant has a different explanation.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Another update on the bonus scene!

admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Here is the finished scene.
                    Subscribers will get it tomorrow night.

----------------------
                    Mastering CGI
                    CGSociety Folio
                    CREAM Studios
                    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Great!

Thanks mate!

Stan
                      3LP Team

Comment

• Grant, could you maybe on the front page of this thread list all the downloads available so far to subscribers please?
                        (Not actual links obviously, just in list format)
                        That way I can keep track of all the mails I'm suppose to have from you much easier and which scene is suppose to be the latest update etc.

Also I think the list will make more people excited to subscribe once subscriptions are open again
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
                          Grant, could you maybe on the front page of this thread list all the downloads available so far to subscribers please?
                          (Not actual links obviously, just in list format)
                          That way I can keep track of all the mails I'm suppose to have from you much easier and which scene is suppose to be the latest update etc.

Also I think the list will make more people excited to subscribe once subscriptions are open again
                          I would say this would be a good idea for now because I wasn't sure if I downloaded everything because of the holidays and being away.

For the future I would recommend some kind of account log-in system where people can download files they are entitled to. You can do this in wordpress (with a digital download plugin). I've not used it myself and don't know how secure it is but I would say this might be a better way to go if you intend to keep this service going.

Really enjoying everything so far. Thanks
                          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• or just create a folder in your outlook to keep everything related on one location.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Arch Pedro A. Solano
                            "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                            Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                            Follow us on facebook
                            Visit us on PSolano

Comment

• Downloaded and rendered the Iron Man model. Very nice shading, Grant! Did you by chance use HDR Light Studio when creating the env light?

Comment

• Yep, but the idea is to drop any you want in and test!

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X