Question..using stripped paths with DR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question..using stripped paths with DR

Right now I am using UNC paths, so even my host machine, which has the the texture maps on it, is looking to the UNC path (ex. \\host machine\C\3d max\project name\sceneassets). I am finding that the material
    editor in Max 2014 is very slow to load the texture maps and fill in the material editor. I am thinking this is because of the UNC and network. Am I wrong?

If not, I have heard of a way of stripping the texture paths and saving out the 3dsmax.ini file, which can then be copied over to the slave machines. This should allow
    the host to find the files locally and perhaps speed things up.

Anyone familiar with this setup?
    Daniel Black
    Archtagon LLC
    www.archtagon.com

Originally posted by danb4026 View Post
    Right now I am using UNC paths, so even my host machine, which has the the texture maps on it, is looking to the UNC path (ex. \\host machine\C\3d max\project name\sceneassets). I am finding that the material
    editor in Max 2014 is very slow to load the texture maps and fill in the material editor. I am thinking this is because of the UNC and network. Am I wrong?

If not, I have heard of a way of stripping the texture paths and saving out the 3dsmax.ini file, which can then be copied over to the slave machines. This should allow
    the host to find the files locally and perhaps speed things up.

Anyone familiar with this setup?
    I had this with 2013 and LARGE scenes. I eventually changed to the old material editor AS WELL as OLD MATERIAL BROWSER. The browser would stand still with the new browser, but with the old one it was snappy again
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

How did you change back to the old editor and browser?
      Daniel Black
      Archtagon LLC
      www.archtagon.com

Comment

"Find the SME.ini file in your documents and settings/*username*/local settings/application data/autodesk/3dsmax/2011/enu/plugcfg folder

Then find in it the lines:
        “UseOldMtlBrowser=0” and set the value to 1 (UseOldMtlBrowser=1).

For Win7 users the folders are a little bit different. Go to users/*youruser*/appdata/local/autodesk and so on.."

for the editor top left in the menu under "modes" is an option to choose slate or compact editor. Choose compact

Havent tried this tip for 2014 yet, but it works from old max up untill 2013 at least...
        Last edited by Morne; 29-04-2013, 08:06 AM.
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Thanks! Will give it a shot.
          Daniel Black
          Archtagon LLC
          www.archtagon.com

Comment

Working...
          X