Post Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Processing

When using V-Ray's Post-processing, does this only apply to the VFB, or is it burned into the image?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

You mean VFB curves and levels adjustments? Well it's not saved into the vrimg if you're loading one or are using the history feature, but if you save an image out then yes, it will be burned in.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

no, not there. I am talking about in the v-ray settings.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

oh. These settings AFAIK are applied to the GI solution, not the final image. So if you change the saturation setting, it will affect the GI saturation, not the final image saturation. So I guess the short answer is: these settings are burned into the image.

From spot3d:
        Post-processing

These controls allow additional modification of the indirect illumination, before it is added to the final rendering. The default values ensure a physically accurate result; however the user may want to modify the way GI looks for artistic purposes.

Saturation - controls the saturation of the GI; a value of 0.0 means that all color will be removed from the GI solution and will be in shades of grey only. The default value of 1.0 means the GI solution remains unmodified. Values above 1.0 boost the colors in the GI solution.

Contrast - this parameter works together with Contrast base to boost the contrast of the GI solution. When Contrast is 0.0, the GI solution becomes completely uniform with the value defined by Contrast base. A value of 1.0 means the solution remains unmodified. Values higher that 1.0 boost the contrast.

Contrast base - this parameter determines the base for the contrast boost. It defines the GI values that remain unchanged during the contrast calculations.

Comment

makes sense, thanks. Any reason why you would want to do this in the render, and not in post?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I guess if you're just getting way too much colour bounce from your GI scene-wide, this would be an easy way to control it globally. Controlling colour bounce in post could be tricky. I have used this before effectively, but for exactly which scenario I cant remember.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              makes sense, thanks. Any reason why you would want to do this in the render, and not in post?
              You cant do it in post - it only affects the GI solution. I use these controls all the time when doing non-PR stuff - bright colors on a white background. More contrast and no saturation really helps.
              Sometimes dropping the saturation to .7/.8 on interiors with a lot of strong colors helps keep some balance - it's quicker than giving everything an override material, and it's easier to add color in post than it is to take it away.

Comment

Working...
              X