Arch viz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch viz?

Just curious if no one mines answering how were u able to get ur foot in the arch viz industry? Like working for yourself or u started at a company first or just doing free work first? Thanks for any advice in advanced!
    PLAY
    www.kriscabrera.com
    kris@kriscabrera.com

I had some hobby bits i'd been doing and sent an email to a guy who ran a local-ish arch-viz studio. Mostly just asking if I could sit down with him and talk about how to get into the industry.
    We spoke for 3 hours, he offered me a couple of months trail based on my enthusiasm. I didnt fuck up, and stayed there for 5 years before moving on again.

If it's your first job in arch viz don't blindly send off cv's and hope for a reply, put in a bit more effort. Make friends with people. If you're in a big city it shouldn't be too hard to ask if you can join a group of people from a company for drinks on a Friday.
    A lot of places hire through personality - anyone can learn the technical side in no time, especially when there are numerous people already there to shadow them. what cant be faked is a willingness to learn and a good attitude.

If your work simply isn't very good then go in for junior positions - and if there isn't one advertised, ask if one can be made for you.
    Last edited by Neilg; 20-06-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I have worked in architecture for my whole career; for the past 25 years, so I had connections. I have always drawn, and I loved technology, so here I am.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge guys! Appreciate it! Am in the Vfx biz but for some reason I have always liked to do interior render and arch renders just never had the opportunity to because of time a things, so ill be off doing renders on my free time and just meet people in that industry and what better place then here
        PLAY
        www.kriscabrera.com
        kris@kriscabrera.com

Comment

It's all about the portfolio too. Good portfolio will make a big difference.
          Maya 2020/2022
          Win 10x64
          Vray 5

Comment

Not only 'good' portfolio, but 'relevant' portfolio. As cubiclegangster said though, its ambition, passion and willingness to learn that we pick up on. We are a small team and wouldn't want any old w***ker working for us no matter how good they are
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket
            ----------------------------------->
            http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Good gried that's a cheesy picture I have just uploaded!!!! Seemed like a good idea at the time!

(having said that, it would be nice if the rule was that your avatar should be a proper photo of yourself - its nice to know who we are chatting with)
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                (having said that, it would be nice if the rule was that your avatar should be a proper photo of yourself - its nice to know who we are chatting with)
                Do I have to shave and put on a tie for the pic?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

might depend on the local market i guess?

at least here in vienna, austria it´s mostly architects like us that somewhen and somehow were more drawn to the visual side of things and didn´t mind to earn some money working for other architects. and the architects also like to talk to other architects who kind of understand them in an architectural way. but i think things are in a change at the moment and more people coming in from other directions, don´t know... and of course real estate developement and marketing renderings are a total different story from the classic architectural competition renderings for architects. so lots of ground to cover or to make a personal mark in.

cheers,

christoph.

christoph koehler
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  cy architecturevisualization.
                  www.cy-architecture.com
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  visit us on facebook!
                  www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                    Don't worry. The 'make black and white' button in Photoshop can make even a tramp look like a company director!
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                      your avatar is really nice but I think you must put some weight on
                      paolo vaja
                      www.3d-arch.it

Comment

By the way Morne, I didn't mean to imply that you looked like a tramp
                        Kind Regards,
                        Richard Birket

Comment

Trained as an architectural technician, picked up little bits of 3D work when the 3D guy in the office was too busy; it snowballed. The advantage to my position is that I actually know a fair amount about architectural detailing etc, where our other 3d guys may not.
                          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Portfolios are deceiving, because most don't give credit to the team that worked on it, or the art director that oversaw it, or how long it took them to do it. In my opinion, it's personality that gets you in the door. 90% of the successful people I know can't do a dang thing, except look good in a suite, and talk-the-talk. Now couple that with a Masters in anything, and you got the job. Really, I have seen so many talented people not get a second look because they didn't play the game. So, get a good suite and good haircut, and fake it until you make it!
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                              Portfolios are deceiving, because most don't give credit to the team that worked on it, or the art director that oversaw it, or how long it took them to do it. In my opinion, it's personality that gets you in the door. 90% of the successful people I know can't do a dang thing, except look good in a suite, and talk-the-talk. Now couple that with a Masters in anything, and you got the job. Really, I have seen so many talented people not get a second look because they didn't play the game. So, get a good suite and good haircut, and fake it until you make it!
                              ...make sure its a 3-pieced suite too!
                              Kind Regards,
                              Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                              X