Motion blur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion blur

I'm in arch viz, and render times are pretty important when getting animations out, but I was just wondering this; is motion blur on a flythrough worth the time hit at rendertime? Does it really make that big a difference, or would it be better to add it in post by rendering out a velocity pass?
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

I guess that depends on how quick your camera moves. With normal "walking speed" if you're not close to walls or foliage, you could probably get away with no or very little moblur
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I'm trying to depart from the walking pace, eye level view. The "flyaround" of the building is where I'd use it. Internally I wouldn't bother as it's a far more "alex roman" affair with regards to camera paths - slow pans, etc rather than the "can we walk all the way through the building and into every room" approach that so many architects love to take.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

We always render motion blur - the speed hit isn't too bad. Never render depth of field though, that's slow as anything.

Isnt there a feature in the newest vray to speed things things up? something that came in with the stereoscopic tools?

Comment

We almost always motion blur in the post. It looks great and lets you tweak the amount, even animating the amount if you find some areas need more blur than others. We use Real Smart Motion Blur with the vector blur to apply the blur (note I mean we use the motion vectors rendered out, not the auto-tracking of RealSmart Motion Blur). If there is a decent amount of blurring you can even get away with a higher threshold in your sampling since the pixels will be smeared together in the post. I always add some grain back after a post motion blur...

Comment

@cubiclegangster do you mean the shade map? I didn't know this worked with moblur too? Wonderful if it does.

@joelaff does AE have the capability to do motion blur with a vector mask without the nees for additional plugins?

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

I try very hard NOT to use AE, only opening it when people send me AE files We use Fusion...

But, I certainly have used AE a lot. I like RSMB since it works the same across hosts, but here is some info on doing it without RSMB... Not sure as to how good it looks.

http://provideocoalition.com/ryoung/..._after_effect/

http://www.timsportfolio.co.uk/tutor...-pass-3ds-max/

http://www.thepixellab.net/beginning...ion-blur-in-ae

Looks like the free options may include a tool similar to the automatic part of RSMB. This can be useful for real footage, but you really want to do vector blurring on 3d footage.

Honestly I use RSMB in one form or another in about every comp I do. There is a demo version that is fully function, just has a watermark.

Comment

Post motion blur is a tiny bit problematic when you get to things like glass but you're going for fairly easy situations if you're only doing camera moves. Anything moving in a nice linear fashion will work okay. If you've got anything with arcs or rotations in them, post can look a bit rubbish.

Comment

cant really get away without it

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                    @cubiclegangster do you mean the shade map? I didn't know this worked with moblur too? Wonderful if it does.
                    Have no idea tbh - we're still on old vray so i've never tried. I thought it helped for DOF and MB too, but I cant recall where I got the idea from.

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                      Have no idea tbh - we're still on old vray so i've never tried. I thought it helped for DOF and MB too, but I cant recall where I got the idea from.
                      There are already a couple of posts explaining how to use the shademap to get super-fast DOF & Mblur. It's completely mindblowing how much faster it renders & I still don't understand why it hasn't been updated to create shademaps with DR yet? Aparently it's been in the nightlies for a few months now???
                      Come on Vray....please add DR shademaps as it would be way more usefull to most people than some RT updates which most people don't seem to use for final production renders.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                        why it hasn't been updated to create shademaps with DR yet? Aparently it's been in the nightlies for a few months now???
                        Because this required changes in the V-Ray SDK and I can't break the SDK of the official builds. It will go into V-Ray 3.0 though.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the update Vlado

Comment

Working...
                          X