So whassup with VRay 1.1...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could say the same about Maya. Even Alias is willing to let them go
    Discreet is practically the only company which ever made real profit with their 3d application.

Stefan
    Stefan Kubicek
    www.keyvis.at

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
      I have heard a rumor that Discreet will dump Max and release a new 3d package in 2 years.
      you mean "Max 8" renamed to something else??... :P

they need to revamp the whole prog from the core up....little tweaks and addons are just quick fixes on an obsolite core.....

paul.

Comment

Maya sucks. If I'd ever have to leave Max I'd go for XSI. Solid, robust, fast, the works. But I love Max in combination with VRay too much to desert it.

Cheers,

Metin
        Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Comment

Originally posted by Metin_7
          Maya sucks. If I'd ever have to leave Max I'd go for XSI. Solid, robust, fast, the works. But I love Max in combination with VRay too much to desert it.

Cheers,

Metin
          not to start another "apps war" but I agree w/ you about maya versus XSI....XSI is sooo much more user freindly then maya....its interface almost invites you to use it.....I'd probably do the same thing if I had to switch...go to XSI rather then maya.

paul.

Comment

Argh no, it wasn't my intention as well to start one of those endless, senseless "my 3D package is better than yours" discussions! It's just my personal opinion.

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

The only reason I'd concider Maya is still being able to hopefully use v-ray after the demise of max :P

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

True, true, but I do not believe that Max will go down. It still has a firm reputation and user base in the game development world, the arch viz biz and is starting to get some popularity in the movie business too (like Digital Dimension proves).

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

i heard... she heard, i heard it from a friend. rotfl.
                  in fact nobody who writes such sentence knows anything .

i remember to read rumors the time max 4 was released, that someone has "confidential" infos from "a friend " that the next version of max will have a complet new core.

nothing happend.

so the rumors going on... "i have heard from a friend who works for discreet that max 6 will have a complete new core!!"

nothing happend.

now listen, i will tell you something........ but psssst....... it´s from a friend who works for discreet and it´s a secret!!!
                  he told me discreet will buy alias!!

Comment

Hi Long John !

Your friend has told me that Chaosgroup is developping a complete
                    3D program with all the good features you find in Max, Maya and XSI.

It is to avoid problems with every updates of Max.
                    This is the reason why we are waiting for the last release of Vray.They are
                    too much busy.
                    Moreover it would be free...Yes ! Life is not expensive in Bulgaria.
                    They are very altruistic.

All that you read is true, Vlado has just confirmed it by a mail.
                    Thank you Vlado !
                    I love Bulgaria !

Gael

Comment

First of all, MAX is one of the oldest 3D packages out there, with the exception of maybe Lightwave. It is built on a LOT of technology which I don't think will go away with a complete rewrite. Every year someone starts a rumor that they will comepletly rewrite MAX, and every year it is wrong. They start the same rumor about maya. It ended up being true for Softimage going to XSI.

Chaosgroup writting a free 3D package? hmmm... I think that they are writting a standalone version of vray... but a whole new package sounds a little out there. I would check your sources.

Comment

pretty sure galf was being facetious.

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

well...I loved 3dsmax...When I found VRay I loved it much more but...I decided to give a try to another package. I was thinking and thinking. Maya? Well nice one but it's renderer is poor and slow. So I decided XSI and well, I don't love max anymore I miss VRay and sometimes for architecture visualization I'm using it but still trying to learn as much as I can about XSI. I don't know but when I'm doing something I want my work to be smooth. And with all max crashes, slow viewport it was horrible. But who knows what future will bring.
                          Luke Szeflinski
                          :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

I'd never want to lose my Max modifier stack and Max animation controllers, but a true NLA core would be very nice. You never know what kind of suprises a next version or rewrite of Max will bring to us.

Cheers,

M7 (who'll be busy with a move the next couple o' days and hopes to be back online right after that)

Comment

For NLA you should have a look at CAT. www.charanitech.com
                              It´s not really what could be called a NLA "core", but it´s rather based on it.
                              Let´s not forget in reality Max has (or even was one of the first 3d packages to have) NLA and Animation Layers, but so badly implemented and lacking essential features that until now it is barely usable. Same thing with it´s compositing feature "Vide Post" (was already present in 3ds DOS days, remember?).
                              At least CAT builds upon (and thus very nicely integrates into) Max´ native NLA "core". Worth a closer look.
                              I agree on the ModStack and Controllers m7. Both very nice concepts I love too.

But this is all getting OT.

Stefan

No, I´m neither a CAT nor Discreet salesperson
                              Stefan Kubicek
                              www.keyvis.at

Comment

The modifier stack is about the most pimpest thing about max for me. I also would love to branch out to other software, but there are a few things (aside from money of course) that keep me from doing that. love the vray and the modifier stack.

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                                X