HDRI exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI exposure

I was wondering if one can change the exposure of an HDR image. If I turn down the multiplier it seems to do that linearly. Is this possible with VRay HDRI map loader, or do I have to modify my HDR image within HDRIShop ?

Thanks,

Gijs
    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

I usually modify mine into HDRshop, but I think you can do it w/ the vray map loader as well...

paul.

Comment

Yea I do the same as cocolas, I use HDRshop to edit the HDRI images.

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I don't think the hdr loader multiplies it linearly. If you turn it down, light through windows for example stay bright untill the end. Not sure though...
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Flipside, that's exactly my point. If you turn down the HDRI within the map loader, then you will not see the same effect as pressing the - button in HDRIShop. In HDRIShop you can get to see what was outside the window. I think it would be nice if you did not have to create a new version of your HDRI and rather change the exposure within the map loader.

Gijs
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with what I've read that HDRIs can be created separately for diffuse as well as specular in HDR shop. It seems to me that the multiplier in the HDR loader works the same as pressing +or- in HDR shop.

--Jon

Comment

Well, more or less. I did a few tests and it appears to me that dividing by 2 is a stop.

So if you need to have 5 stops underexposed it is 2^-5 (about 0.031)

Maybe useful for vray.info?

Gijs

Comment

Interesting that you figured it out the way you did . For the human eye to naturally perceive an "exposure change" the light level must either double or halve. This is exactly what the F-stop is based on. The Inverse Square Rule seems to also be related to F-stops, which are a manufactured not physical scale. Basically if you double the distance a light source you will get a quarter of the light falling on the surface of the subject and in turn if you half the distance the light level will be squared.

--Jon

Comment

Now you say so I realize...I guess I was a bit dense yesterday.
                  It just did not seem very straightforward. But like many things, once you know it seems all so simple

Gijs

Comment

hi

There is a "Tone Mapping" plugin for HDRShop available.
                    http://www.gregdowning.com/HDRI/tonemap/Reinhard/

this gives you more detailed control over the image "exposure".
                    But it´s not very interactive.

If you have a copy of "digital fusion", use gamma/gain to adjust
                    the hdri exposure in a more interactive way.

Comment

Working...
                    X