No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Beta Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris_ChaosGroup so just to be clear... with 1gui+1rn I can have 5x max started on my 1 PC and they all can render at the same time? Like its possible now (I dunno if its possible I run maya but anyway). I wont get some stupid no license found on my remaining 4 copies of max right? - on 1 pc
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• I am a Maya user with VRay 2.0 for Maya. No pricing has yet been released for VRay 3.0 for Maya. However, I expect that it will be similar.

I too am saddened by the change in upgrade path and the way it is being implemented. I have a great deal of empathy for those persons that bought VRay for 3dsMax on August 3 (how surprised are you?). The manner in which this change is being implemented seems to me to be a slap in the face of those customers that Chaos Group has depended on to fuel their growth.

I realize that Chaos Group needs to adjust their pricing as they grow. In fact, I fully support the idea. They have a great product. However, it would seem appropriate that "new" customers be the focus of such a radical change to the upgrade path.

If this were a standard upgrade, I would think that upgrade assistance would be appropriate for only "very recent" customers (i.e., a few weeks or so). However, in this case, they are changing the entire upgrade paradigm for the product. I believe more consideration should be given to "existing" customers. Think of it as paradigm shift assistance rather than upgrade assistance.

Upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 would be a different story. By then, the upgrade paradigm would have been well understood and expected by those who were purchasing VRay for the first time or upgrading from 3.0.

I would suggest that Chaos Group offer a "meaningful" upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 for those customers that bought 2.0 prior to the announcement (e.g. a few render nodes at no additional cost, or something like that). When 4.0 comes out, then everyone should be faced with the same costs to upgrade (i.e., no favors for those who purchased more than a few weeks or so prior to the upgrade release/announcement).

This would be a great way to thank the existing customers while at the same time enabling Chaos Group to change its revenue model.
      Last edited by JabbaTheNut; 12-09-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• I've made some test whit the beta, and the feature for light include/exclude from list for vray RT is unsupported yet.
        In this reply http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...667#post567667 Vlado says is not too difficult to port it for 3ds Max (dec 2012).

When some news for this features?
        www.kodocreation.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_ChaosGroup View Post
          If you buy either a full new license or an upgrade, by default at minimum we include 1 GUI + 1 render node.
          Chris, the way this license is presented is very strange.

To define this, in my own way: 1 GUI + 1 render node = Vray 3.0 on ONE computer, with zero real "render nodes". Right?

It depends on how you define what a render node is. Don't most CG artists define a render node as a network-attached computer, separate from the artist's workstation? So a single license upgrade does not provide any "render node" licenses, as defined by many (if not most) artists?

Please clarify, if I am wrong.

Thank you,
          Andrew
          Last edited by ajroane; 13-09-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• I think you should just drop the confusing terminology for vray. Just release Vray 3.0 without the need to mention you get 1 render node license. I mean who would buy vray 3.0 without a render license. It's like purchasing photoshop without the ability to save the document. Then after you purchase Vray 3.0 you can purchase additional render nodes. just like every other piece of software out there that uses a similar render node based system. It makes much more sense that way I think ! I don't think you could buy any other piece of software that didn't include a license for either rendering or simulation etc

Edit: I mean, there is transparency that works and then transparency that confuses people...
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• @Andrew,
              Based on the way you define a render node, you are correct.
              The reason to pick up the definition here is that technically this render license is not limited to be local, it is really a "render node" license (can be seen through the V-Ray License Server) so it could be used on any network-attached computer.

@Steve,
              I do share the same opinion on that which is why in my explanations I prefer using "User license" which is understood as what is needed by a "user" to work on a workstation (i.e. 1x GUI + 1x RN).
              I suggested that many times internally and hope that this naming convention (or another but still a less confusing one for the artists) will be adopted.
              Thanks for your feedback.
              Last edited by Christophe.Cot; 14-09-2013, 12:52 AM.
              Christophe COT
              Software Developer - Chaos
              christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

• Thank you, Chris.

Comment

• Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                  Chris_ChaosGroup so just to be clear... with 1gui+1rn I can have 5x max started on my 1 PC and they all can render at the same time? Like its possible now (I dunno if its possible I run maya but anyway). I wont get some stupid no license found on my remaining 4 copies of max right? - on 1 pc
                  Yes that´s an interesting question i would like to know as well?
                  Just to clarify this.
                  With ONE vray 3.0 lic + ONE RN lic, i still can open like a handfull of MAX sessions with vray and render at the same time them, ALL on the SAME workstation of course?
                  Or will I need a lic for each session (opened max on the same machine) then?
                  MBA Studios | 3D Images & Visual Effects

Comment

• Yes that's true. You could open as many 3DSMax instances as you like and you could render with all of them simultaneously - they will occupy just a single Interface and RenderNode license.
                    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• I know this is Max forum but i cannot wait to try 3.0 myself, last bucket syndrome!

[2013/Sep/18|23:07:27] V-Ray: Rendering image...
                      [2013/Sep/18|23:13:14] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 51m 44.3s): 10 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/18|23:33:04] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 1h 42m 6.6s): 20 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/18|23:45:56] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 1h 29m 38.8s): 30 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/18|23:52:42] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 1h 7m 49.6s): 40 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/19|00:00:24] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 52m 57.7s): 50 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/19|00:18:09] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 46m 59.4s): 60 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/19|00:50:54] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 44m 13.0s): 70 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/19|01:27:31] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 34m 56.2s): 80 % completed
                      [2013/Sep/19|02:05:58] V-Ray: (Estimated time remaining: 0h 19m 47.6s): 90 % completed

The time now 09:05 am….

Maya 2020/2022
                      Win 10x64
                      Vray 5

Comment

• May be you have to consider decreasing bucket size - or investigating what's going on under that bucket.
                        Duplicated/Overlapped Geometry with Refractive Material could give that result.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• Just quickly, how long is the Beta period going to last? I'd like to know roughly when we can expect the real 3.0 release.
                          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
                            Just quickly, how long is the Beta period going to last? I'd like to know roughly when we can expect the real 3.0 release.
                            We are hoping for a release before the end of the year, is all I can say. (But, on the other hand, keep in mind that there is probably not a single release date promise that we've kept ).

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              (But, on the other hand, keep in mind that there is probably not a single release date promise that we've kept ).
                              Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I'm sure it will be "soon"
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
                                Just quickly, how long is the Beta period going to last? I'd like to know roughly when we can expect the real 3.0 release.
                                If I were you I'd hope its not any time soon. Dont forget u got unlimited v3 license Something ull never see again ;O
                                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Working...
                                X