No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Beta Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes it is - would it be possible to send us a scene with the crash ?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• What (intel) processors does embree work on?
      Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

• I think cpus that support SSE an AVX instructions.

Comment

• Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
          Yes it is - would it be possible to send us a scene with the crash ?
          Hi - I just tried to render a teapot on a plane with Vray 2.4 and the Embree plugin. Worked fine. However the test scene in the link will crash Max if the Embree helper is enabled:
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywnvjdft1m...bree_test1.zip This is a Max 2014 file.

Comment

• Thank you very much for the file.
            We got the same crash with 2.4 version - but it renders without any issues with 3.05.02 beta.
            It seams that there are some optimizations and bug fixes in Embree plugin at 3.05.02 version.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

• Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
              Thank you very much for the file.
              We got the same crash with 2.4 version - but it renders without any issues with 3.05.02 beta.
              It seams that there are some optimizations and bug fixes in Embree plugin at 3.05.02 version.
              That's good news. Thanks for taking a look at the file

Comment

• I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to bring up the issue of licensing again. I think for smaller companies and freelancers this may not affect them too much directly to begin with but I think it will backfire on users like us in the end. I use a render farm in the US and they are actually considering not supporting vray in the future because of the costs involved in the licensing of 100's of machines. I can imagine that any render farm that decide to carry on supporting vray will only do up to version 2 where as I understand (after reading the FAQ - section 6), the licensing will not change (unless I've misunderstood and I still have to purchase additional licenses once the new licensing protocol comes into full effect) and if they decide to move to version 3 the users will ultimately be paying for this to compensate for the additional costs. So really we are being hit twice !

I also understand that Mental Ray tried to adopt this licensing policy which caused major problems for them as ultimately people didn't jump on board !

I would like to get some feedback from Chaosgroup regarding this situation..

I'd like to add that I think the new features do look great and I'm very much looking forward to using Vray 3.0 albeit with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.
                Last edited by stevesideas; 21-10-2013, 09:00 AM.
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• I agree with Steve - I think Chaos are really shooting themselves in the foot with this new licence system. You can imagine that a lot of people are just going to stay with 2.4, and/or explore other render engine options.
                  Would it be possible to have a unlimited node licence fee? (say for the likes of render farm companies)?

Comment

• Glad to see there are still people talking about the licencing. I think there has been a lot of users expressing their concern about these big licencing changes since the beta was first announced. I hope Chaos Revise the Vray 3 licence/upgrade offerings before 3.0 is released!
                    Michael Wentworth-Bell
                    Motion Graphics Artist
                    Melbourne, Australia

My site - Digital Lode

Comment

Working...
                    X