Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would collapsing all stacks before rendering produce better results ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would collapsing all stacks before rendering produce better results ??

I've had a bizarre situation where I sent what I completely believe to be two identical 3ds max scenes to a render farm and the ONLY difference between the two scenes being that in one of them I didn't collapse the stacks of the geometry, whilst in the other, I did collapse all stacks.....

It turns out that for me, (unless I genuinely have overlooked a difference, which I'm convinced I haven't), the render with the stacks collapsed turned out to be 'cleaner'.

Has anyone ever seen this before - is this common knowledge (and I'm the last to know about doing this) ?? Normally I must admit, I don't collapse stacks (I prefer to keep the file sizes as small as possible).

Thanks,

Jez

(3ds Max Design 2014 and Vray 2.4)

Click image for larger version

Name:	TC_011013_v20 - Stacks Collapsed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	878668

Click image for larger version

Name:	TC_011013_v20 - Stacks NOT Collapsed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	878669
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

I have read before that you should collapse your stack when you are done, if you are trying to optimize your scene.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Weird! I haven't seen that but I wonder if adding an 'Edit Poly' modifier at the top of the stack would give you a cleaner effect without collapsing? Probably not, but just a thought.

Comment

just a possible cause.
        have you some "rendertime" modifier in the scene??

I'm explaining with an example.
        If you have a modifier that modifies the geometry only during the render, you'll have obviously some differences in the GI calculations.... something like VrayDisplacementModifier

Comment

Certain modifiers create extra channels of information, collapsing them down reduces the number of channels and in certain cases can heavily speed up your scene as certain modifiers are very CPU intensive to evaluate and a collapses mesh will often be quicker. I have a script somewhere which collapse all modifiers that aren't render-time dependent, ie TurboSmooth VRayDisplacement etc...
          Maxscript made easy....
          davewortley.wordpress.com
          Follow me here:
          facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Well done guys and thank you

I can confirm that there were VrayDisplacementModifiers on a few carpet objects within my interior and I guess that was what made the difference.

Great to learn something as important as this - I really appreciate it and will ensure to collapse stacks in future.
            Jez

------------------------------------
            3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
            Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
            ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Would you mind sharing the script?

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
              Certain modifiers create extra channels of information, collapsing them down reduces the number of channels and in certain cases can heavily speed up your scene as certain modifiers are very CPU intensive to evaluate and a collapses mesh will often be quicker. I have a script somewhere which collapse all modifiers that aren't render-time dependent, ie TurboSmooth VRayDisplacement etc...
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
              Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                Would you mind sharing the script?
                I'm afraid it's a bit engrained in one of our asset tools, there's a lot of UI stuff that goes with it to allow any type of modifier to be excluded from collapsing.... And there's some other funky stuff that happens for hierarchy, transforms that's kind of essential to doing a collapse correctly. It's often not as simple as just right clicking-> Convert to Poly.
                Maxscript made easy....
                davewortley.wordpress.com
                Follow me here:
                facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Working...
                X