Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump Map making DOF renders crawl.

Vray 2.4 3dsMax 2014

We are doing a photo-real macro shot of a chocolate curl (vrayphyscam, domelight, area lights) with in-camera DOF. When no bump is applied to the shader, the render blazes. When I use any sort of bump, the render times more than double. I understand that there is much more surface subtleties that the DOF must consider, but wow the time just sky-rockets. Am I missing something? Is there a way to tell Vray not to spend so much time worrying about whether or not to "bokeh" a small crusty chocolate highlight and just blur it? Like a "bokeh" threshold? Like I said, when the surface is smooth, it doesn't need to sample so much and goes very fast. Is there some way to tell vray to blur it as if the surface is still smooth? Thanks -chad

What kind of texture are you using for the bump? Can you show an image?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah I've experienced the same issue recently, but with geometry, even slightly raising the density of meshes (grass) considerably offsets the render time, also it really randomly variates from 5 hours per frame to 40 hours per frame
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
        Yeah I've experienced the same issue recently, but with geometry, even slightly raising the density of meshes (grass) considerably offsets the render time, also it really randomly variates from 5 hours per frame to 40 hours per frame
        I think it might be a different issue, this one.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3minutes_vray_with_bump.png
Views:	1
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	850214Click image for larger version

Name:	23_seconds_vray_no_bump.png
Views:	1
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	850215I'm using a composite map made up of several images and a couple procedural noises. They are simply piped into the "bump" slot at 100% (anything less is barely noticeable).

Comment

Hmm, the composite map is terribly slow.... Can you send me the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can profile it, just to be sure it's not something else?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Let me clean it up and zip it for you. Thanks a ton btw!

Comment

Ok, I sent you an email with a zip archive and two png's that show the speed difference. Thanks Vlado!

Comment

I think it may have something to do with the mix map that is holding a procedural and a .jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X