Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior lighting.. skylight... skylight portal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior lighting.. skylight... skylight portal?

I cannot find any real information in the help files and a search of skylight mentions alot of settings.. but really no description of how or when to use which. Do I just put a skylight in the scene? does it matter where? I have a skydome and it is not receiving any light. I have vraylights in the windows to light my scene.. but the entire outside is dark. Should I just created a directional light color it ornge and call it my sun or is there a reason to use the sunlight in the rollout panel?
    thanks for any information.
    michael

If you want only skylight:
    Turn of 'default lights' in the 'global switches' rollout.
    Turn on indirect illumination
    Turn on GI environment - override max. (or set your max environment color to light blue)

If you also want a sun, just use a directional light, or an omni placed very far away (to have +- directional shadows)

To light up your interior more, place vraylights in the window openings, and maybe use the skylight portal option, or just use it as normal area light. Skylight portals are used to transfer more of your skylight light inside the room (see it as a lens that focusses the light)
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

"to have +- directional shadows"
      wow thats a simplified expression! +- = (more or less)
      never seen anywhere!

Comment

thanks

that makes alot of sense.. I could not figure out what a skylight portal was.. sounded like something out of star trek.. I have been using the area light in the window with great results! What a great program.. they should hire you do simplfy their help.
        Michael

Do not think I have ever bought a program that has a free version... dont know if the full version does more.. but my work has improved so much in the last few weeks.. I feel it is time. I am sure the thanks the company receives is nice..but I am sure they like the visa charges even more.

Comment

Working...
        X