Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray light question

Hello,

I have been using Vray for as long as I can remember and I never got around to asking this question. When I'm working on an interior scene and place the Vray lights in the windows, I was always curious why the light dimensions never match up to the window size. For example, if I have a 6'x4' window, the Vray light will cover the entire window but the size will read 3'x2'. This also may be a related issue but I also notice I need to crank up the light values to insane numbers with vray lights and lights using IES files. I'm assuming this could be a system unit thing but I have no idea how to correct it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Scott

Hi,

V-Ray rectangular light uses "Half-length" and "Half-width" parameters to control the size. Therefore you need to divide the real value (length/width) by "2".
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Now read careful, what the dialog for the size reads in the Vray light setting: HALF-length...

EDIT: Forget what I wrote, Tashko was faster.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
        Hi,

V-Ray rectangular light uses "Half-length" and "Half-width" parameters to control the size. Therefore you need to divide the real value (length/width) by "2".
        Why is this?
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
          Hi,

Thanks......that explains that but I'm with Richard.....why? Also, what about the light values....please see attached. This is an interior scene I worked on and if you check the power values of the lights in the soffit, they technically way out of whack but visually it looks correct. This has happened in all of my interior scenes. For some reason, I can never use the manufactured lighting specs because it does not produce enough light. I remember in Lightscape, I was able to put in the manufacture specs and it would produce a physically correct lighting scenario. So....what am I not doing correctly in Vray?

Thanks

Scott
          Attached Files

Comment

Well that depends if your scene is setup correctly in the 1st place and your cam exposure. For example that jpg through the window should be a bit brighter almost overexposed
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              Well that depends if your scene is setup correctly in the 1st place and your cam exposure. For example that jpg through the window should be a bit brighter almost overexposed
              With regards to the jpg image, I agree, but it was important to showcase the views for this particular job so I had to fudge the background a bit. When you say, "Set up your scene correctly" Could you please be a bit more specific? My camera is set up pretty close to real world settings....f-stop, shutter....etc. Do the system units have anything to do with it?

Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                Why is this?
                I have also wondered about the reason behind this...no biggie though.

Comment

power of 4? inverse 2?
                  admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                    Why is this?
                    That's easy think of it as the following. If you have a square spot light 1 meter from a wall and it gives you a 1 by 1 meter square of illiminated wall. Now move the light to 2 meters you will now have a square of 2 by 2 meters. So the same amount of light covers an area 4 times a large so twice the range gives you 4 times less illumination per area.

Comment

If we are strictly speaking in terms of the light icon's size in the viewport, why not just simplify things and use the full width and height measurements. Or rename the light sizes to something more complicated than WxH.

Comment

Working...
                      X