Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Ray Render Optimization - an in-depth Guide (call for Before/Afters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know why I just get a black render when I do this?
    "In V-Ray's Global Settings rollout - uncheck 'Lights' to disable them, and set 'Default Lights' to ON."

Tried turning off exposure, no difference.

If I start a fresh scene with just a sphere or something, then default lights seem to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
      "In V-Ray's Global Settings rollout - uncheck 'Lights' to disable them, and set 'Default Lights' to ON."

Tried turning off exposure, no difference.

If I start a fresh scene with just a sphere or something, then default lights seem to work fine.
      Are you using DR? If so, turn it off
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
        Are you using DR? If so, turn it off
        Ah, yep... thanks

Why doesn't it work with DR?

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
          Wow

Fantastic tutorial and information Akin, thank you so much.

And it seems perfect timing as it goes so well with the great training currently being offered by Grant as well.

So, big kudos to you Akin - you're helping me get to grips with what is under the hood of VRay

One question......

Seeing as the SampleRate pass is so important (and I only learnt about this render pass a week ago) - is it possible to switch off the rendering ('beauty') pass during its creation ? In other words is it possible to render which ever passes you want (in this case the Samplerate pass) without creating a Render Image ? (since at these early stages, the Samplerate, reflection, GI passes are where the important information is).

Thanks
          Yes you can just tick on Samples next to DMC settigns min and max and u have sample rate as ur beauty.

As to tutorial its quite great tutorial however I fell like U skipped 3/4 of vray settings... a specially the DMC settings, it would be good if you could add it at some point so the AA section is fully covered... + maybe motion/dof with new Vray 3.0.

Thanks, bye.
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Why doesn't it work with DR?
            Good question... Any insights from the devs?

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
            As to tutorial its quite great tutorial however I fell like U skipped 3/4 of vray settings... a specially the DMC settings, it would be good if you could add it at some point so the AA section is fully covered... + maybe motion/dof with new Vray 3.0.
            Well, the most important settings are covered by the tutorial. The rest may get expanded upon a little further down the line when I get a chance, but for now it's easy enough to figure out how the remaining DMC Sampler values will affect your scene's sampling by using the DMC Calculator
            Last edited by RockinAkin; 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM.
            Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
            Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
            V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
              Good question... Any insights from the devs?

Yeah this is a know issue ongoing for 4-5 years now, just dupe the cam and it will be solved, till Vray's cam will be corrupted again and you will have to dupe again etc.
              We've got that issue pretty much every week here.

Stan
              3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                [/FONT]

Yeah this is a know issue ongoing for 4-5 years now, just dupe the cam and it will be solved, till Vray's cam will be corrupted again and you will have to dupe again etc.
                We've got that issue pretty much every week here.

Stan
                Hmm duplicating the camera doesn't seem to make any difference.

Do you then use the duplicated one? Or still the original? Ive tried both and same problem.

On another scene everything is black except the light materials unless I turn DR off, then its fine.

Comment

default lights don't work when doing DR, I think they never did. at least it was still the case last time I checked..

Comment

Tnx for the explanation!
                    Testing now. Are we aloud to higher the min AA setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen Prins View Post
                      Are we aloud to higher the min AA setting?
                      Yes, often when dealing with scenes with blurry anti-aliasing caused by DOF or Motionblur, or super fine details like hair, I'll bump AA min up to 2 to prevent any missed rays.
                      Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                      Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                      V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
                        Yes, often when dealing with scenes with blurry anti-aliasing caused by DOF or Motionblur, or super fine details like hair, I'll bump AA min up to 2 to prevent any missed rays.

I always bump min AA to 2. 1 just dont cut it in low levels - never in my opinion.
                        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I had the same experience with the AA @ 1. Leaving it that way i do not get crispy clean edges and even texture.
                          Turning it to 2 really makes a big difference.

Comment

After reading through all the info its a great way to understand everything, can using the irradiance map be integrated into this? As sometimes projects don't give you the time to render bf / lc. Or is the speed optimised so much that its on par with an irradiance solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
                              After reading through all the info its a great way to understand everything, can using the irradiance map be integrated into this? As sometimes projects don't give you the time to render bf / lc. Or is the speed optimised so much that its on par with an irradiance solution?
                              I would say it depends; for fly-through's or very large image resolutions, the irradiance map can definitely save a ton of render time, but I find that lately for still images, I would just use BF+LC.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
                                Why would that make a difference? They're not mutually exclusive.

Irmaps are significantly faster than brute force, and optimizing reflection/AA subdivisions doesn't change the IR map at all. My render times are 3-5x higher with brute force, and noisier (although i've not used 3.0 yet, while it's faster I still dont think it's fast enough).
                                It'll be a long time before I'm willing to take that speed hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X