Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Unclamped .vrimg Files

Hi,

When I save as .vrimg through Backburner the image is always clamped unless I save using 'render to V-Ray raw image file' from the V-Ray Frame Buffer, see below:

This means I can't use Max's batch renderer to send multiple jobs at once. Is this just a limitation of Max or V-Ray or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrimg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	879545
    Dan Brew

Will look into it, but if you are saving from the 3ds Max regular render output, it might better to use OpenEXR rather than .vrimg - I didn't even know that it works there.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Will look into it, but if you are saving from the 3ds Max regular render output, it might better to use OpenEXR rather than .vrimg - I didn't even know that it works there.
      Yes it works fine from the renderer common tab, apart from I can't get it to save unclamped.

I've been doing exactly as you suggested, saving to .exr then opening in the Max frame buffer and re-saving as .vrimg.

I don't know whether this has been requested before but would it be possible to allow the VFB to open other file formats such as .exr?

Thanks,
      Dan Brew

Comment

Originally posted by DanielBrew View Post
        I've been doing exactly as you suggested, saving to .exr then opening in the Max frame buffer and re-saving as .vrimg.
        Is there a reason you need a .vrimg in the first place? Just so you can open it in the frame buffer?

I don't know whether this has been requested before but would it be possible to allow the VFB to open other file formats such as .exr?
        Yes, and it's already implemented in the 3.0 nightly builds (not only for .exr but for other formats too).

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Is there a reason you need a .vrimg in the first place? Just so you can open it in the frame buffer?
          Yes, I like the implementation of the colour correction curves better than any other software I own. I don't know of any other applications that allow the curves to manipulated past brightness value 1.0.

Yes, and it's already implemented in the 3.0 nightly builds (not only for .exr but for other formats too).
          Well that's great. In that case I can probably wait, we're upgrading to 3.0 very soon . I was more concerned that I had something turned on (or off) that was causing my .vrimg files to be clamped when everything else was saving unclamped.
          Dan Brew

Comment

We probably didn't implement a flag for specifying that .vrimg files are always HDR. You can force V-Ray to do that using the following MaxScript snippet:
            Code:
            renderers.current.output_force32bit_3dsmax_vfb=true
            As I said, will make a note to do that automatically.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado!

I did search the MaxScript help for 'clamped' and 'unclamped' but I didn't find that.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to using V-Ray 3.0.
              Dan Brew

Comment

Yes, I like the implementation of the colour correction curves better than any other software I own....snip
                Yes. This.

I have never actually tried any other software that handles curves CC as good as the vray FB.
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

[HINT]If I could resize the 'color correction' window or it was 1.5 -2.0 x bigger it would be perfect.[/HINT]

I have a license for Adobe Creative Cloud that I haven't installed yet but my CS4 is useless in this respect.
                  Dan Brew

Comment

[HINT]If I could resize the 'color correction' window or it was 1.5 -2.0 x bigger it would be perfect.[/HINT]
                    Yes, this has come up already; not sure yet how that might work though without resizing the entire CC window. Btw do you have other suggestions for the curves?

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Btw do you have other suggestions for the curves?
                      I'm maybe not the best person to ask as I don't use the curves in the VFB very often. However the reasons why I don't might help.

If I'm honest it doesn't really fit in with my workflow. We send all our jobs to our render farm. So the only way to use the VFB for image editing is to load the .vrimg files back in and resave. As far as I'm aware there is no way of using it to colour correct an animation. So my only suggestion would be to have the ability to load a saved .bcurve into V-Ray, maybe in the 'Color Mapping' section, then apply it to all subsequent jobs.
                      Dan Brew

Comment

Alternatively, make the VFB tabbed, and let the CC stuff reside in its own tab, at least as an option. Might even be nice to add the render-log and history in there as tabs too

Edit: On second thoughts, CC controls in a separate tab is useless, and even suggesting this makes me ashamed

Sorry for derailing the thread.
                        Last edited by trixian; 05-03-2014, 04:02 AM. Reason: stuff
                        Signing out,
                        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                          Alternatively, make the VFB tabbed, and let the CC stuff reside in its own tab, at least as an option. Might even be nice to add the render-log and history in there as tabs too

Edit: On second thoughts, CC controls in a separate tab is useless, and even suggesting this makes me ashamed

Sorry for derailing the thread.
                          We will make those windows dockable I think this will be more useful.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Working...
                          X