bitmap flicker at thin lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bitmap flicker at thin lines

I've got 5 computer screens with static bitmap images on them around an indoor scene. The more solid parts of the screen are fine. So gradient buttons, solid areas, or thicker text.
    The thin lines all flicker from frame to frame.

Nothing else seems to be flickering though, so I'm not thinking it's GI.
    Some settings:
    Adaptive DMC with a soften antialiasing filter at 2.0.
    adaptive DMC is set to 1,4 clr thresh .01
    color mapping is linear mutliply, all 1.0, sub-pixel, clamp output to 1, and affect background are checked. There were a couple overbright spots to fix.

GI
    refractive irradience map and lightcache with ambient occlusion on at .4 500mm subdivs 8
    irradiance High - animation at defaults
    LC at 500 with sample size at 200mm world. Store direct light.
    retrace threshold checked at 1.0
    interp samples 5

DMC sampler settings .85 min samples 8, and noise thresh at .005 Time independent.

Should that be time dependent? Should that be unchecked?

This seems to happen often with materials like these. It's just basic textures. I'm using a bitmap straight into a default vray material with no changes other than changing mapping to not be real-world scale.
    For now I'll just render out masks, then render the screens all by themselves, no GI, and just change the objects to self illuminate. Easy fix. But it would be nice to just get this right in the future. Also, it's not always that simple because my bitmap objects don't always emit Light in the real world, so should have a bit more shading to them.

1,4 is too low for an animation, i usually go with 2/8. try 2/6 if that's too slow.

What is the bitmap filtering set to?

Comment

Well, I've never had any problems with 1,4 unless I have some tiny or thin objects. Bitmap filtering is set to the default, pyrimidal.
      I rendered out masks of where the screens show with the rendermask script (Best tool ever), and then rendered out Just the screens in isolation mode. GI is still on, but obviously not really doing anything. I did a test render and it was crazy fast, and looked good enough, so I went with it. I already stayed late to get it submitted, so I wasn't going to tweak anything further if it works.

I checked in AE and there is no flicker. That leads me to believe, but not definitively, that it was related to GI. I did a recent project with some 12 and 24 can boxes of coke among other things. They were just boxes with pictures of the physical box applied to each side. It flickered like it was trying to give you a seizure. I applied a material override with a solid color as the GI override and that solved the problem.

So my scene only flickers on the textures where there are thin lines, and only if GI is turned on. Still think it might be bitmap filtering or DMC sampler settings? I'm stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by kalamazandy View Post
        Well, I've never had any problems with 1,4 unless I have some tiny or thin objects. Bitmap filtering is set to the default, pyrimidal.
        I rendered out masks of where the screens show with the rendermask script (Best tool ever), and then rendered out Just the screens in isolation mode. GI is still on, but obviously not really doing anything. I did a test render and it was crazy fast, and looked good enough, so I went with it. I already stayed late to get it submitted, so I wasn't going to tweak anything further if it works.

I checked in AE and there is no flicker. That leads me to believe, but not definitively, that it was related to GI. I did a recent project with some 12 and 24 can boxes of coke among other things. They were just boxes with pictures of the physical box applied to each side. It flickered like it was trying to give you a seizure. I applied a material override with a solid color as the GI override and that solved the problem.

So my scene only flickers on the textures where there are thin lines, and only if GI is turned on. Still think it might be bitmap filtering or DMC sampler settings? I'm stumped.
        Would it be possible to send us a stripped down version which still holds the issues of the scene for investigation ?
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
        X