Giving an image a set time to render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving an image a set time to render

Following on from my thread about long render times for architectural renders....

In an attempt to increase the quality of our work, we are employing different workflows. Render times are obviously going up, but this is fine (to a point). We like to queue up renders overnight where possible and employ DR on each of these images to make full use of our farm (through backburner).

The drawback of this approach is that we are never entirely sure how long each render will take, and there is no frame buffer when using DR through BB (at least the way we have it setup as a service - I will need to check if we have a frame buffer when BB is running manually).

What is the best approach, using Vray 3, to giving each of these images a fixed amount of time to render, so that we at least have some sort of output for each image in the queue? Bear in mind that we render at around 4kx4k pixels, and we usually have a number of render elements. The machines have between 16-32GB ram each.

Example: we have four images to render and we are leaving the machines on overnight. How can I tell each image to render for 4 hours only (and save the result) so that we have something to look at the following morning?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Sounds to me like you want to use progressive render with time limit... its the only solution I can think off right now that could work...
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
      Sounds to me like you want to use progressive render with time limit... its the only solution I can think off right now that could work...
      Yes - this is what I was thinking. Anybody using this for high res renders, particularly archviz interiors?
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

Would also be very interested in this. Dont think Ive ever used progressive render before..

Comment

Progressive will work fine, especially if you use BF+LC; the first thing I did with Richard's scene was to switch to BF for primary bounces (from irradiance map) and turn off any interpolation in materials; with a few other adjustments it now renders faster, brute force and all. This is in V-Ray 3.0 though.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Progressive will work fine, especially if you use BF+LC; the first thing I did with Richard's scene was to switch to BF for primary bounces (from irradiance map) and turn off any interpolation in materials; with a few other adjustments it now renders faster, brute force and all. This is in V-Ray 3.0 though.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I wasn't aware I had any interpolated materials in the scene - must have imported something with it switched on. I have tried both BF and IRmap for primary bounces. At the moment I am trying BF set at 160 subdivs.
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
              I wasn't aware I had any interpolated materials in the scene - must have imported something with it switched on.
              You can find them in the V-Ray log file - look for something like "registered interpolation map for material...."; for 3.0 we also print these in the V-Ray messages window.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                Vlado
                That is very good news. Could you please share more info on things you changed.
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Working...
                X