Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRayLightMtl material V's Object lights (VRayIES, VRayLight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayLightMtl material V's Object lights (VRayIES, VRayLight)

We are new to VRay and trying to light an interior scene using exterior sunlight and skylight through the windows. Also we have approx 20 spot lights on a corridor ceiling.
    As we are new to VRay our scene is still extremely noisy (presumably we have a lot of optimising to do on the various settings), so I am trying to get a quick answer to the spotlights:
    Should we use a VRayLightMtl on the light faces (this is our current setup and it's slow and noisy),
    or should we use a light object ? What type?
    Test render here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample 01 VRayLightMtl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	879621

Also we are using the Materials from Chaosgroup which came with Vray 3 for the glass and they are quite heavy on the rendering time -perhaps we need a library of more basic materials.
    Can anyone recommend a good source library of VRay materials (ie good materials which work well and will let us render a typical interior scene at approx 3000x2000pixels overnight (yes I know there are lots of factors here but I'm talking about a typical commercial office/reception scene rendered on a good spec modern workstation)

I hope someone can give us a few pointers. Thanks.
    Regards
    Jesper Pedersen
    www.pedersenfocus.ie

Originally posted by pedersenfocus View Post
    We are new to VRay and trying to light an interior scene using exterior sunlight and skylight through the windows. Also we have approx 20 spot lights on a corridor ceiling.
    As we are new to VRay our scene is still extremely noisy (presumably we have a lot of optimising to do on the various settings), so I am trying to get a quick answer to the spotlights:
    Should we use a VRayLightMtl on the light faces (this is our current setup and it's slow and noisy),
    or should we use a light object ? What type?
    Test render here:

Also we are using the Materials from Chaosgroup which came with Vray 3 for the glass and they are quite heavy on the rendering time -perhaps we need a library of more basic materials.
    Can anyone recommend a good source library of VRay materials (ie good materials which work well and will let us render a typical interior scene at approx 3000x2000pixels overnight (yes I know there are lots of factors here but I'm talking about a typical commercial office/reception scene rendered on a good spec modern workstation)

I hope someone can give us a few pointers. Thanks.
    Regards
    Jesper Pedersen
    www.pedersenfocus.ie
    Welcome to our forums

You are right there is a lot of noise on the image you shared which is not caused only by lights but from reflective-materials as well.
    Have you used Global Illumination by the way - some parts of the scene are too dark so it is probably turned off.

VrayLightMtl is useful for surfaces emitting light - however a good practice is to use it in combination with some kind of light in order to produce faster and smoother result.
    You could also use it alone if Direct Illumination option is turned on - but it will require a lot of samples in order to generate smooth result.

Name:	2014-03-24 11_51_21-Material Editor - Material #1.png
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	851619

In this case I would use VrayLightMtl with Direct Illumination OFF for the light-geometry and a VrayLight or SpotLight with VrayShadows directly beneath it.
    We don't have any other material library except VRmats in our download section:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downl...-ray-materials

Please note that the slowdown in the rendering depends not only from the materials but from other factors like lights, global illumination and etc.
    If you still have troubles with scene optimization you could pack it up and sent for investigation (FTP could be provided if needed).
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Svetlozar,
      Thanks for your reply.
      We are getting a lot closer already but I appreciate your offer to check our scene for us and help to optimize the settings -this would be really useful just to get us in the right direction with VRay at the start -before we develop too many bad habits!

We have replaced the VRayLightMtl with VRayLight objects for each spotlight and this is a big improvement on both noise and renderingtime (it's rendering in about 1/5th of the time , still some noise but much better than before) -please see attached.

Name:	Corridor sample t3.jpg
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	851620
      I will try to get the scene to you over the next day or 2.
      Thanks again,

Regards
      Jesper Pedersen
      www.pedersenfocus.ie

Comment

Yes, this is much better but there is still some noise.
        The image will look much better without it
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
        X