what is the difference vray mentalray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the difference vray mentalray

i wonder what is the difference between vray and mentalray ?
    what is the special properties vray or mentalray

thanks for your informations

if you search this forum you'll find plenty of discussions about that.....

paul.

Comment

you are so helpful thank you

Comment

there is not much objective discussion about it, well what to say, try it. and you'll see it. 2-3 days with both of them will show you quite well, what is the difference I think.

Comment

I am using both and here are the main differences.
          Displacement, for simple stuff the edge goes to mental ray, compelx is a tie.
          Mental Ray has more built in shaders, but VRAY support Simbiont Max and Mental Ray doesn't.

VRAY is way faster at GI and area shadows. Dof is better in VRay as well.
          Motion blur, speed wise the edge goes to mental Ray with the quality edge going to VRAY.

AA is faster in VRAY.

Overall they are different beasts in many ways. For straight forward Ray tracing Mental Ray seems a touch faster but when you add soft raytraced shadows and GI Vray quicly takes over in terms of quality and speed.
          And forget trying to do interiors in Mental Ray with GI, it's way to slow.
          Vray smokes Mental Ray here.

Mental Ray has the edge in included shaders though.
          Two heads are better than one ...
          ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

I agree to everything mike says, except:

Mental Ray does support Darktree via a plugin from "The Image works". Get it here: http://www.darksim.com/html/download_simbiont2.html

Stefan
            Stefan Kubicek
            www.keyvis.at

Comment

Hi

in my opinion both are very good renderers. the biggest difference for me is speed of Vray.

Vray by the moment seems to be the fastest Gi renderer on earth. But like Brazil, Mental ray beats Vray in tearms of Quality in very smal Gi details.

Some time ago me and a friend at www.lichtecht.de made a contest between Brazil that makes very similiar results compared to mental ray and vray.

in usual conditions, vray seemd to beat brazil in terams of speed about two to three times (while this depends very much on your scene and your tweeks. )

at last if you want to get as detaied details in Vray as in mentalray and brazil, you will see, that it is possible with the right settings, but rendertimes seem to get as slow as mentalray ore brazil.

so for me vray is winner by now, because it can beat mr in speed many times and brings details in solutionquality that are by far good enough for those guy´s that have to pay my food .

The things still missing compared to mr (more shaders, rendering of channels.... ) will be build in in a few month. Devellopement of Vray still makes giant steps.

Comment

Working...
              X