Displacing part of an editable mesh with a bitmap image HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacing part of an editable mesh with a bitmap image HELP

I have posted a few times, read forums and haven't sorted this out!

I am trying to displace a group of poly's on a sphere using vray displacement modifier. I can get both 2d and 3d displacement working on simple primitives such as on a plane (for 2d) or a box (for 3d) where the geometry is unchanged. As soon as I try and get displacement working for a group of poly's on an editable mesh object I have no joy at all! I get the warning "can't displace mesh, map channel 1 not supported" All I am trying to do is select a group of poly's on the side of a sphere and displace them to the shape of a displacement map I made in photoshop.

I also noticed that when I displaced a plane with a uniform mesh the bitmap showed up perfectly, however if I moved some of the edges to make them squint but kept the plane perfectly flat, the bitmap showed up changed as well (skewed). The reason I ask "should this happen" is because how can you displace poly's with a bitmap and have the bitmap show perfectly undistorted, if the group of poly's you are selecting have been moved around (say to form a curve, rather than being a plane?)

Can anyone who has successfully managed to do this tell HOW IT IS DONE? as all the tutorials I can find describe simple mapping of planes and 3d objects ro make stuff like hedges or billboard posters!

Thanks

My bitmap is 24 bits per channel

Comment

i just did a quick test and managed to displace a section of a sphere by cloning the selected area to a mesh and adding a uvw plane to it.

i checked '3d displacement' and 'keep continuity'

hope this helps.
      when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Thanks for the reply! But I don't want to clone the selected poly's to a mesh. I only want to select the poly's and keep them as part of the sphere. I to have managed to clone poly's to a mesh and displace them, but try displacing poly's which are still part of the sphere, ie - don't clone them to anew mesh!?

I don't know

Comment

no, i couldn't get it to work without cloning either...

the only other thing i could suggest is making a displacement map for the whole sphere with the displacement area only in the area you want displacing...

confused? you will be...

can you post any images of what you're trying to achieve?
          it might be easier to understand exactly what you're on about...then you might get more replies.
          when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Working...
          X