using a spherical image - HDR - for reflections in interior shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a spherical image - HDR - for reflections in interior shot

I have a simple room with a couple of pieces of furniture and a camera. There are a couple of windows in one of the walls through which I will have the vray sun and vray sky illuminating the scene. However, I want to fake some of the reflections and lighting on the furniture as the room interior is quite boring without much detail.

What is the best way to achieve this? If I add a vray dome light, for example, and assign an interior HDR image to it, the interesting light (and reflections) will only enter through the windows of the room I think.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Perhaps you could model a low-poly set based on the hdr map and make it visible for reflections/refractions only? I did something like that a while ago:

The env map:

The virtual set:

And some renders also using the light from the virtual set.

The set wouldn't have to be that complex, maybe just a cylinder inside your room.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorq1H View Post
      Perhaps you could model a low-poly set based on the hdr map and make it visible for reflections/refractions only? I did something like that a while ago:

The env map:

The virtual set:

The set wouldn't have to be that complex, maybe just a cylinder inside your room.
      That's a really neat idea!

Comment

Useful idea.

At the moment, I have 2 HDR lights in my scene, one called 'INTERIOR' and one 'EXTERIOR'.

My interior is set not to cast shadows from the main walls and ceiling and the exterior is just a normal 'affect everything' light. It isn't perfect but seems to get me part way there.
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jorq1H View Post

The env map:

The virtual set:

the HDRI is mapped on using spherical uv mapping?
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Yeah projecting on low-poly works really well! For live viewport feedback you could give the objects a uvw_map modfier set to spherical and link the gizmo to a helper, now if you move and rotate the helper your texture will update as well.
            Rens Heeren
            Generalist
            WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Working...
            X