Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper usage of VRayAlpha in Photoshop CC

Hi,

So how do I use the VRayAlpha element in Photoshop CC without getting fringes? I usually render on black and use the integrated Alpha of the EXR, I was just wondering if there is a way to properly use the VRayAlpha without getting fringes.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

I have not tried it, but likely this is just a result of the image being premultiplied with black.

Load the alpha selection. Float that to a new layer (new layer via copy). Hide the underlying (original) layer, or delete it. Select the layer you just floated with the selection, which will have a slight black fringe. Make sure you have nothing selected, and go to Layer->Matting_>Remove Black Matte.

This is the old way to unmultiply an image in Photoshop, before PS started supporting and interpreting some alpha as what it calls "Layer Transparency."

Comment

Holy sh** I totally forgot about those layer options! Mainly because in the german version of Photoshop the naming of those functions are just awful. But it worked as expected.
      I copied my alpha into a mask for the RGB Layer, applied the mask, then did the Remove Black Matte thing.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
      X