Aperture: Do not affect exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aperture: Do not affect exposure

I get that you're trying to be physically accurate, but being physically accurate is a pain in the ass. The reason we have large 3 stage matte boxes is to control light. If there was a magic camera that you could adjust the aperture on without affecting exposure film makers would love it. There should at the very least be an option to decouple the exposure of the camera and its aperture. Aperture is a creative tool for attaining a specific look. Exposure is largely a technical endeavor and almost exclusively a thorn in any cinematographer's side. Why bother recreating the worst aspects of film making in a digital system that doesn't need to?

While we're at it, please also offer a an option to disable breathing in Physical cameras as well if that's still enabled (changing FOV with focus). We rent $70k lenses so that we *don't* get breathing in them. Again, stop emulating defects by default that film makers generally spend a lot of time and money overcoming. It just gives artists more work to undo.
    Gavin Greenwalt
    im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
    Straightface Studios

VRayPhysicalCam's f-stop value still affects DoF even when the exposure setting is disabled.
    Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
    Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
    V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

Ok, that is actually helpful. It looks like I had some user error since I unchecked that but was expecting the ISO to still work but it didn't. So I guess my modified feature request is:

ISO should remain active even with Exposure unchecked. Then we can make creative choices on motion blur shutter and DOF while still having a real exposure tool for technically adjusting our white point (ISO).
      Gavin Greenwalt
      im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
      Straightface Studios

Comment

I'd be inclined to not use the physical camera at all so I don't have to deal with exposure while choosing dof and motion blur settings (as a qualifier, I'm generally cg for vfx so that decision is made for me and I match the live action look). You could use the white point multiplier in the color mapping dialog to do something pretty similar to setting white point as you describe too.

Comment

Working...
        X