Smirnoff Ice Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
    I don't think there's orange in smirnoff ice, only drank it once but it appeared white to me. Even a little blueish at times. The reason why it looks like that in your reference images is because the light is yellow (look at the window sill). I have no experience with SSS materials but seems to me u need to make it scatter more.
    Vizioen, you are right. I checked it out with a pure white LED and it didnt reflect any orange. just plain white with a tint of the glass.

what do you mean by scatter more? what exactly are you aiming at?

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
    I gave it a quick go. I'm still missing the shadows inside the volume but at least I got the white color to work. Using a standard vray material with translucency (hybrid mode) enabled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20066[/ATTACH]

*edit*

Tweaked it some more in the right(ish) direction sadly render times went up by quite a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20077[/ATTACH]

*edit2*
    Okay last one for today. Noticed that I didn't check for refractions so I put a quick sky in (ofc wrong color compared to the reference photos... oh well) tweaked some more values. Liquid still too bright and I'm still missing the darker parts from the reference photo (to be honest no clue how they come to be) and interesting that in the original even though light is coming from the left the right side is brighter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20078[/ATTACH]
    ralphr, thanks a lot for the effort of modelling the whole reference scene and taking the time to work on the material. it still looks a little dull or flat but maybe its the lighting? what settings are you using for the translucency?
    the reference photo is quiet complicated I think. Of course because of the window there is a re-reflection that could make the right side brighter etc etc. Which gives the liquid this rich volume of a look...
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

I'm currently @ work so I don't have access to the scene but from Memory I had:

I direct light to simulate the sun + 2 planes on the outside of the windows with vray light material for the sky. And 1 domelight with an interior hdr to get reflections for the inside of the window area.

As for material:

Diffuse: Light grey
      Reflection: Pure white (or maybe a little less)
      Refl. Glossy: 0,98

Refraction: Around 163 Valure
      Refraction Glossy: 0,92-0,95
      Affect Shadows: off
      Translucency Type: Hybrid
      Scatter Coeff: 0.2-0.3
      Fwd/back coeff: ugh this one I really dont remember I think maybe 0.5
      Light Multiplier: 5 I think

Camera Settings: Sorry I forgot :/

I could send you the scene when I get back home.
      Overall I completely agree with your points about the whole thing still looking flat which is still driving me nuts to be honest :P
      Last edited by Mokiki; 03-07-2014, 02:10 AM.
      Cheers,
      Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Working...
      X