Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to run vray license server / dongle on raspberry pi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to run vray license server / dongle on raspberry pi?

Hi everybody,

this is my first post on this board, please bear with me

Just recently I purchased vray for 3dsmax and I am enjoying it very much. I'm using vray at work, but because I wanted to use it for some private projects as well, I took the dongle with me when I left the office each day. However I'm afraid I'll lose or break the dongle soon this way - thats what has happened to most of my thumb drives...

So I'd very much like to make use of the authorization route over the internet. Because I do not want to leave my workstation on 24/7, I was thinking about setting up a raspberry pi (with linux) as a server for this purpose. It is cheap and uses only minimal power. I have no experience with the raspberry pi but was always waiting for an excuse to buy one. But before I do so, can anyone tell me if this would work at all?

Thank you very much for your insights!!

best,
    Sedlor

We don't have a version of the license server for raspberry pi. However you can set up a cheap box with CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu - we do have a Linux version of the license server that works on those OSes.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

thank you for your response! I didn't take into consideration that, while capable of running linux, the raspberry has a different architecture. Maybe I'll built another small server like you suggested, but for now I'll just leave the dongle at my workstation and wake it up via wake on lan when I need it.

The remote access itself works very well, just forwarded the port in the router, set up dyndns, update the server info in max and we're ready to go! Great! I'm a little concerned though that anybody, who happens to guess or otherwise learn about our dyndns adress will be able to use my license. Highly unlikely, but I'd like to rule that possibility out completely. How can I do that? In the vray license server manual, it just says "you should protect your server", but no explanation is given on how to do that. Is there some place I missed where I can set up a username and password?

Thanks again and have a nice weekend,
      Sedlor

Comment

You could do that via the router settings - just specify the IP addresses of the machines which should have access to the port number of the license server, all other machines will be automatically blocked.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Unfortunately, that won't work. My internet access at home is via consumer dsl which doesn't feature a static IP. So the IP of the client (as seen from the license servers perspective) changes at least once every 24 hours...

Comment

It is up to the client to restrict the access to the license server since the license server itself does not have built in access control.
            Apart from few suggestions like setting up VPN or using static IP address I am afraid there isn't much what we can do to help you with this task.

Comment

Hi there, sorry for renewing this post, but it would be a great thing to have the licenceserver ported to the raspberry pi, Well running a licenceserver under ubuntu still needs a somehow cabable hardware, even when using the server edition. The Raspberry consumes 2 watts maybe 3 when the dongle is plugged in To have such a lowpower unit to spread the licence would be a blast, green thumbs up. Carbon food print awarness week

Cheers
              Ralf

Comment

kick ! Any 2017 roadmaps ? This Pi-thing could be really something.

Comment

And any news on that?

Comment

Originally posted by k-arts View Post
                    And any news on that?
                    We do not plan such build for now.
                    Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                    X