Freelance Architectural Fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelance Architectural Fee

We talk about this every now and then, but it has been awhile. What are you guys charging per hour? In my area, someone considered a digital artist, makes around $60,000 a year. Taking this number, $30 an hour is the going rate, but that does seem low.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Most freelancers I know (nyc and london based) are between 300 and 400 per day. so just under $40 an hour up to 50.
    Pretty universally their work is ok - not great, but they get it done fast.
    Last edited by Neilg; 20-08-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      We talk about this every now and then, but it has been awhile. What are you guys charging per hour? In my area, someone considered a digital artist, makes around $60,000 a year. Taking this number, $30 an hour is the going rate, but that does seem low.
      OK but you'e not looking at the right figures. Somebody freelancing, doing their own thing, need to charge roughly double whatever a full time employee makes. This is because the fulltime guy only has to worry about his salary. Freelancers also have to worry about equipment, software, insurance, company taxes, etc etc
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        OK but you'e not looking at the right figures. Somebody freelancing, doing their own thing, need to charge roughly double whatever a full time employee makes. This is because the fulltime guy only has to worry about his salary. Freelancers also have to worry about equipment, software, insurance, company taxes, etc etc
        So, $60 isn't out of the ballpark? Or, at least a place to start the negotiation.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

With the quality and speed you've been doing things lately, you can probably go a little more

But for your type of work, I would more look at a total figure per project, build in a small buffer for changes. Then anything beyond that you can charge at an hourly rate I think

What's the opinion of the rest of you guys?
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

I think working per-hour for anything other than changes or work that's outside the scope of the contract is a bad idea.

Quoting is always difficult so perhaps consider charging per-view or per-project (depending on the amount of views obviously). You could have $x retainer including one render plus $y for each addition view (you'll be saving time on not having to do all the setup work again obviously so you can charge less for additional views accordingly). You could try offering two rounds of markups and anything beyond that charge per-hour.

Some projects you may not make a big profit on but I think in the long run you'll be able to charge more this way.

It also means a much easier way of quoting, and clients wont be getting antsy about how many hours you're spending on a render.
            James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Yes. I have always charged per project, base on a per diem figure. However, I think being prepared with a per hour fee might be needed, sometimes. I have been charging $300 per day, but my days don't end at 5pm.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                I think working per-hour for anything other than changes or work that's outside the scope of the contract is a bad idea.

Quoting is always difficult so perhaps consider charging per-view or per-project (depending on the amount of views obviously). You could have $x retainer including one render plus $y for each addition view (you'll be saving time on not having to do all the setup work again obviously so you can charge less for additional views accordingly). You could try offering two rounds of markups and anything beyond that charge per-hour.

Some projects you may not make a big profit on but I think in the long run you'll be able to charge more this way.

It also means a much easier way of quoting, and clients wont be getting antsy about how many hours you're spending on a render.
                Agree with this.
                Time based costs just end up with clients pushing you to do more in less time to try and save money - in our experience.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  Yes. I have always charged per project, base on a per diem figure. However, I think being prepared with a per hour fee might be needed, sometimes. I have been charging $300 per day, but my days don't end at 5pm.
                  Bear in mind the figures I posted were from freelancers who get hired into a studio on short term contracts - they don't pay for their own machines, software or anything. it would be MUCH higher if they were working from home by themselves.

Comment

If you work for a studios, typically your hourly is doubled and billed to the client. So, a $60 an hour employee is billed out at $120 per hour.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

that sounds about right, yeah.

Comment

I should have used more accurate numbers. A studio illustrator makes around $30 per hour ($60,000 per year). So, as a freelancer, it would be around $60 per hour ($120,000 per year). If we should charge $60 per hour than $500 per day would be a good start. If most of my work can be done in 2-3 days, that would make an average image worth $1,000 - $1,500. The only issue is getting a steady flow of work coming in. I base the daily on an 8 hour day, so if we want to work 12 hours and have the work, more power to us.

Whatcha think?
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I charge more for the first view and additional views are x/2 of the 1st view....I've been in situations where I quoted 3-4 views, taking in consideration that it was a lot modelling , in the end the client said I only need one view for now....to me is more like I already charged you that much for this if you pay some extra money you can get two extra views for the price of one.
                          show me the money!!

Comment

good advice.. and never discount for potential future work
                            Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
                            I charge more for the first view and additional views are x/2 of the 1st view....I've been in situations where I quoted 3-4 views, taking in consideration that it was a lot modelling , in the end the client said I only need one view for now....to me is more like I already charged you that much for this if you pay some extra money you can get two extra views for the price of one.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Me neither, but I think it is a lot work for only one view... It's a way to push them to get at least 3 views per project. Some people negotiate like you are going to get a lot work from them but it is not at all. For interior is the same but discount only applies for extra views of the same room/area. Hourly doesn't work well to me.
                              show me the money!!

Comment

Working...
                              X