How to create neon material but with shiny reflection ? see image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create neon material but with shiny reflection ? see image

I recently had to create an interior with a lot of glowing acrylic type materials - I used a variety of VRayLight (Mesh Object) and VRayLightMaterial.

But I saw this image (see torus on right) and would really like to know how to do this using VRay 3.0 in 3DS Max ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	self_illum_comparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	880832

Any ideas anyone ?
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

You can achieve a similar effect with the self illumination parameter of the VRay material.

Name:	Self Illumination Test.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	854347
    Dan Brew

Comment

Like daniel said you can get same effect with the self illumination option inside the vray material + a falloff map set to "shadow/light" and a small tweak with the curve.
      In my example I used a vray blend material with vraymtl = base + vray light material as coat. But only because in the 3.00.08 version the self illumination parameter is bugged. You should be able to create the same effect without the need for a blend mat.

Name:	turous.jpeg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	854348
      Cheers,
      Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
        But only because in the 3.00.08 version the self illumination parameter is bugged.
        If you use a texture for the self-illumination, like VRayColor, the multiplier will work fine.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          If you use a texture for the self-illumination, like VRayColor, the multiplier will work fine.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Really? Great! Thanks for the info Vlado!
          Cheers,
          Oliver

Comment

Thanks guys, this is great, can't wait to try this out
            Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
              Like daniel said you can get same effect with the self illumination option inside the vray material + a falloff map set to "shadow/light" and a small tweak with the curve.
              Isn't the shadow/light mode of the falloff map unsupported by Vray? I think Vray even prints a warning about this.
              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                Isn't the shadow/light mode of the falloff map unsupported by Vray? I think Vray even prints a warning about this.
                Should work fine in V-Ray 3 for this setup thought, there are few improvements since version 2.
                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Nice results ralphr! I'm having fun experimenting with this material.. Not sure how to make this work without blend material and just a Vray Color map in the Self Illumination slot- I get that far but don't know how to integrate the falloff map? Does the Vray Color go inside the Vray Falloff map?

Comment

I don't have the scene in front of me right now but you should pick the colors you want to "blend" between inside the falloff map and place that inside the self-illumination slot. The rest of the material I think should have a blueish diffuse(depending on the look) and reflection parameter as needed. This should give you the same look without the need for a blend material. The only thing I remember why playing around without a blend material is that I got a little bit more noise inside my render and the same render settings. Probably because inside my light material I checked "direct light" which the self illumination doesn't offer.

If needed I can post the scene or screenshots of the material settings later today or tomorrow because I'm not in front of my pc right now.
                    Cheers,
                    Oliver

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Sorry Vlado, I don't find that to be the case. Assigned a texture to the self-illumination (VRayColor) and the multiplier does nothing.
                      Jez

Comment

<shrug> works for me. If you have a scene where it doesn't, please send it to support@chaosgroup.com so that we can figure out what's wrong.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                        X