PSD manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSD manager

I use, and love PSD Manager, but RebusFarm doesn't support it. I remember years ago finding that out and it made rendering to RederFarm a no-go. I just tried RebusFarm again, but again, it isn't supported. How else are people masking out all their layers? I know there are ID channels and stuff, but PSD Manager simply created a PSD with all your elements and layers masked, which was awesome. Anything else as easy and would be supported by most render farms?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Hi Bobby

I've been an extensive PSDM user for years (as well as beta tester), and we're facing the same problem as you ... we use a french renderfarm (Ranch Computing), which used to be PSDM compatible until they switched their system to some proprietary multiband rendering, apparently for performances gains ! so now we're stuck with a pretty nice credits amount, which we'll use only for animations, and not for stills rendered with PSDM who said PITA ? :P
    Like you, if someone had some advice about that ...

Regards.
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I dont have PSD Manager (although I'm thinking of getting it)
      I use multimatte for all my main textures/objects. I have 5 multimattes in my elements (3 x 5 = 15). This has been sufficient for most scenes, You can always add more
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        I dont have PSD Manager (although I'm thinking of getting it)
        I use multimatte for all my main textures/objects. I have 5 multimattes in my elements (3 x 5 = 15). This has been sufficient for most scenes, You can always add more
        Hello Morne,

Yes, sure, one can use MutiMattes ... but once you've tasted PSDM workflow (Scene Layers, REs, Object and Mat IDs ...), other approaches seems like stone age
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread - I sent an email to Rebusfarm and Ranch Computing to see what can be done about it.

In any case it helps to send an email to whatever render service provider you would like to use and let them know that you want to use psd-manager. They can also reach out to me (mail (at) daniel-schmidt (dot) biz) if they need help implementing support. Feel free to pass on my details or just set me CC and I will get in touch.

Daniel
          Last edited by dans; 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM.
          Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

I asked and they said that they can't, for technical reasons
            Originally posted by dans View Post
            Thanks for starting this thread - I sent an email to Rebusfarm to see what can be done about it.

In any case it helps to send an email to whatever render service provider you would like to use and let them know that you want to use psd-manager. They can also reach out to me (mail (at) daniel-schmidt (dot) biz) if they need help implementing support. Feel free to pass on my details or just set me CC and I will get in touch.

Daniel
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              I asked and they said that they can't, for technical reasons
              Which I as the psd-manager developer may be able to solve, we will see.

Daniel

Comment

I know there are ID channels and stuff, but PSD Manager simply created a PSD with all your elements and layers masked, which was awesome.
                ProEXR (http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/) is pretty awesome for Photoshop, not as automated as PSD Manager (well not at all), but if you write a script it's easy enough to select a bunch of objects in your scene and assign them V-Ray matte id which will get picked up in the exr files. You can then use matt id alpha channels as a selection mask and it is good to go.
                Last edited by snivlem; 04-11-2014, 01:40 AM.
                Maya 2020/2022
                Win 10x64
                Vray 5

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread - I sent an email to Rebusfarm and Ranch Computing to see what can be done about it.

Daniel
                  Hi Daniel !!

Long time since we last heard from you ! I hope everything's ok with PSDM dev ... a few improvements we're waiting for the next version ! btw, any ETA, please
                  About PSDM support with various renderfarms, it's becoming pretty old now ... I guess we exchanged on that nearly one year ago, maybe even more. With Ranch Computing, I had the feeling it was sort of a deaf dialog, because the RC guys kept on telling me they did support PSDM, because scenes using it could be rendered without errors ... but no correct output was generated ! I mean ... are they kidding ? I must admitt I just gave up with them, although we still have a nice amount of credits for Ranch Computing, but we keep them for animations (that we do very very rarely).

Anyway, thanks for any help you could provide

Cheers.
                  Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

No reply from Ranch Computing so far but I had a good conversation with Rebusfarm (they are located in Germany too).

Rebusfarm currently doesn't support any kind of multi-layer output format on any platform in general (speaking only of still image rendering, not animations here). So not PSD specific or even psd-manager specific at all and the same for EXR.
                    The main problem is the stitching of the individual image snippets of the multi-layer formats which no tools exist for. A similar problem to Backburners Split-Scanline rendering that can not stitch all formats back together.

I will attempt to build a tool that will be able to join the individual PSD snippets into a single PSD. Not a simple task (each PSD snippet may have a different layers and folders structure), so please be patient.

Best Regards,
                    Daniel Schmidt

Comment

Great! That would be awesome. The lack of PSD Manager support was my reason for not using a render farm service, so it would be a win/win/win for everyone if you can get it to work.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

No reply from Ranch Computing so far but I had a good conversation with Rebusfarm (they are located in Germany too).

Rebusfarm currently doesn't support any kind of multi-layer output format on any platform in general (speaking only of still image rendering, not animations here). So not PSD specific or even psd-manager specific at all and the same for EXR.
                        The main problem is the stitching of the individual image snippets of the multi-layer formats which no tools exist for. A similar problem to Backburners Split-Scanline rendering that can not stitch all formats back together.

I will attempt to build a tool that will be able to join the individual PSD snippets into a single PSD. Not a simple task (each PSD snippet may have a different layers and folders structure), so please be patient.

Best Regards,
                        Daniel Schmidt
                        Hi Daniel

Good news you're thinking about doing something for that ! no hurry though, we've dealt with that for sometime now, so a few months more or less ... :P

Thanks a lot !
                        Nicolas Caplat
                        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

A workaround is rendering out something locally, with a material override and reflections off. Now, you can just use that PSD for the layer masks.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

A workaround is rendering out something locally, with a material override and reflections off. Now, you can just use that PSD for the layer masks.
                            Hi Bobby,

Sure, it's a workaround. But when you're used to work with PSDM Render Cut-Out mode, it's hard to get back using masks only ... and I don't even mention REs ! :P
                            Nicolas Caplat
                            www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I don't know what Cut-out mode is or REs. I just use the masked layers in PS
                              Originally posted by NicoC View Post
                              Hi Bobby,

Sure, it's a workaround. But when you're used to work with PSDM Render Cut-Out mode, it's hard to get back using masks only ... and I don't even mention REs ! :P
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X