Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct vs bounced light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XuNMZ3pLMU

So I saw this tutorial. I've tried something like it a long while ago, but got a Ton of noise and my render times went through the roof. But perhaps I didn't know what I was doing. Also, I'm not sure if I tried it in MR or Vray. I can't remember.

Do any of you guys use this method? I do like the look because you get a variation on the surface, so your light object is much softer, like an actual softbox. If I just put a larger light, then it's a perfectly even color. I'd like it to sort of be a natural gradient.

I'm setting up a project now (I haven't gotten to lighting yet) with basic animation. Everything animates. It'll be a large product in a studio-like environment, where I just show pretty much every part of it articulate, slide, rotate, etc. I'm just making a demonstration of the product for the most part. But since everything moves around, that usually means the standard animation cheats where you render the animation parts separately get thrown out the window.

The actual environment will just be a standard white sweep.

I'm considering trying this out, but if you guys have some advice on the matter, I'd love to hear it. I could also just use a more generic standard HDRI light dome just to make things easy. This animation doesn't actually have to look pretty. I like when I get those because that means I can play with something different....as long as I can still render the animation in the same amount of time, or at least fast enough to still meet the deadline. I don't actually charge for render time anyway, unless it's such a tight deadline that I have to send it out. Then that gets billed back just like we would charge for a print.

It's a nice way to get soft lighting and specular in your scene, especially for product shots.
    You may also consider to use the V-Ray Softbox texture to achieve similar results / http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/VRaySoftBox /
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

oh cool. I didn't know about that texture.
      Any advantage one over the other, other than just using a texture on a light should be faster setup?

I would assume that bouncing the light would introduce extra GI noise in the scene?

Comment

I haven't compared both methods in more complicated scene, but generally there will be some difference in the scene lighting calculations and final render appearance.
        With V-Ray softbox you will have a flat light surface with smooth transition between the brighter and the darker part of the light.
        The other lighting method will give you more lighting depth and more control (you will be able to adjust the light and backplate separately ) but most of the light comes from this source will be calculated as first bounced light (GI).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-06 09_39_30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	854578
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

good point. Since most of the light has already bounced once in the GI calc, the GI calc will most likely increase animation render time quite a bit. It's probably great for stills though.

Also, I realized in my current animation I should be able to get away without using GI. A dome light for ambient, and 2-3 lights for more control should serve just fine.
          thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
          X