Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Sampler: Max subdivs vs passes

Hi,

Can someone explain how the max subdivs parameter and the passes relate to each other?
    We had a monster rendering here which we did with the progressive sampler, iterating more on difficult areas with the mouse and we somehow managed to reach 10000 PASSES, then the render "finished". I mean the image was good enough, but if we had the possibility we may have let it render another night. Did it end there because of the max subdivs? Even then, its not like all areas reached the set noise threshold sind we moved around with the mouse often.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

100 subdivs = 10,000 passes, same as in all other places in V-Ray. The image will stop as soon as any pixel reaches that value. You can set the subdivs to 0 to let V-Ray refine indefinitely.

Best reards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

so passes = samples?
      Also isn't it kind of counter-intuitive that "the image will stop as soon as any pixel reaches that value."?
      Wouldn't it make more sense to stop when every pixel reaches that value? Or am I missing something here?
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
        Wouldn't it make more sense to stop when every pixel reaches that value? Or am I missing something here?
        Some pixels might not need to reach that sampling level at all (because of the adaptive sampling). Some better sampling scheme can probably be implemented, but that's the way things work now (this is how the bucket renderer works too).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X