Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump bring rendering times through the roof

Hello and thanks for your time,

I am using a 6000X6000px JPEG file with a noise texture on it but with a very small grain size, so it looks essentially like sand grains. The high res was used to capture the fine grain detail. I need to apply this evenly over a plane with a little bit of form on it. The idea is to apply a grainy like sand bump over the plane and distribute it evenly over the surface with explicit mapping and for smooth animations.

I used to use a procedural noise map with a very fine grain size but I found that it did not map out well over slightly distorted plane (blotchy, and uneven)

With the JPEG as my bump map source, the render times have gone up by 50%. Sampling sizes are the same.

I thought rendering time should have sped up with a Bitmap for a bump since its a pre-determined size and the sampling does not have to anti-alias as hard as with a procedural.

any ideas?

if it's 50% of something under a minute it's probably the filtering.
    Why cant you use a 500x500px crop of the noise pattern, if it's random surface noise surely you wont see it tile?

Comment

I know what you mean but I'm trying to keep certain maps associated with certain models all of which are based on actual units (mm and cm). so a 6000X noise map for an place that is 30cm in size. If the plane is 60cm in size then I will tile the map 2.0 by 2.0. If a plane is 15cm in size then the map will be tiled 0.5 by 0.5. The grain size must stay the same size regardless of the size of the plane.

the filtering I used is ARea 1.5 with 1.8 DMC. These setting were good with the procedural bump version so I kept them.

Comment

I'm not sure you do. if you make the bitmap half the size you can tile it twice as much to get exactly the same grain size. why do you need a 6,000px map for noise?

Comment

id use a 100 x 100 noise bitmap tbh

Comment

Would it be possible to send us a simplified version of the scene for investigation?
            Thank you very much in advance.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X