Render elements not saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render elements not saving

For some reason I am unable to get the VFB or the VRIMG Converter to save out the render elements to EXR files -with the exception of Velocity (I also have ObjectID, and Z in my current renders). Or, if they are saving out, maybe it's the AfterEffects EXtractor plugin that can't read them? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.
    - Geoff

HI,

How exactly do you save your renders? Directly from the V-Ray frame buffer or from Render Settings/ VFB/ V-Ray Raw image file ?

You can also check the final EXR file using the Rendering menu > View image file; then just browse the EXR file and select Setup option in the left part of the window. AT the top of the new window will be an option to select/view all channels. This should works for most of the elements.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I've tried a bunch of things. What I'm finding is that if I have VRay save the files to exr through the VRay Frame Buffer it will save only three render elements. The elements it saves varies every time I change them. And this is the case if I use the converter as well.

I don't know if this is related or not, but I'm also finding that the KStudio converting script can no longer load vrimg files and show me what's in them. But the VRay Frame buffer can open them just fine and all elements are in tact.

I have attached one of the vrimg files that I am having trouble with.
      It contains:
      VRayZdepth
      VRayObjectID
      VRayNormals
      VRayExtraTex

When I convert the file it is missing the ObjectID channel. When I use the Max image viewer to open an EXR that I converted it tells me that I have all of the elements except the VRayExtraTex. Very confusing.

test0001.zip
      - Geoff

Comment

Hi,

Is there any reason for not using our Vrimg to OpenEXR converter ? Just tested it with your test0001.vring file and all elements are being saved fine.

What I'm finding is that if I have VRay save the files to exr through the VRay Frame Buffer it will save only three render elements.
        Which V-Ray version you are using ? Is it the latest 2.x official one?

Comment

I've tried using your converter and I get the same results.

It does seem that I am able to get all the elements readable by AE if I turn off the VRay framebuffer and have the Max framebuffer save it instead. Again, it might have something to do with AE's EXtractoR plugin.

I'm using 3.00.08.
          - Geoff

Comment

I did a quick test with a simple scene setup and a few render elements (V-Ray 3.00.0:
            VRayZdepth
            VRayObjectID
            VRayNormals
            VRaySamplerInfo
            All elements were saved correctly from the Raw Image file option in the VFB rollout.

I've also converted the Vrimg file again to be sure that all elements are there.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-05 16_37_30}.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	854787

Most probably the reason for this issue is in the AE's EXtractoR plugin. I will try to find a forum post where similar problems were reported.

Comment

I don't know it didn't occur to me to do this me earlier, but attached is one of the converted EXRs I ended up with. AfterEffects cannot see an Object ID element.
              test-exr.zip
              Last edited by YoyoBoy; 05-12-2014, 03:00 PM.
              - Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by YoyoBoy View Post
                I don't know it didn't occur to me to do this me earlier, but attached is one of the converted EXRs I ended up with. AfterEffects cannot see an Object ID element.
                [ATTACH]22003[/ATTACH]
                Hi,

Thanks for the new file, I checked it and all elements were there - PDPlayer and Nuke.
                I have one one more question. What setup do you use for the Object ID render element in 3DS Max, Integer or Color? I assume that it is Integer and the plugin you are using in AE doesn't support it.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-06 11_31_55}.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	854791
                Last edited by tashko.zashev; 06-12-2014, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Thank you. Yes, that seems to have done the trick. And it's weird that I didn't bother to set the it for Color (with AA), since I've never understood why anyone would set it to integer. Something that added to my confusion is that the VRFB creates only one ZDepth channel. This keeps it from being seen in the EXractoR's Layers menu that lets you quickly assign elements to RGB with 2 clicks instead of 6. The Max FB renders it as RG&B, so it does show up there when you use that.

I have another problem now though. It doesn't seem that the Color (with AA) option works for VRayMtlID element. At least no the AA part.
                  - Geoff

Comment

Oops. Nevermind on that. AA suddenly started working on. Strange.
                    - Geoff

Comment

Hmm... actually, it seems the AA only works if GI is on. That's just silly.
                      - Geoff

Comment

That's very strange - this option shouldn't be affected by the status of the GI.
                        Is that 3.00.08? Does it happen on every scene?
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I keep forgetting that the AA in the render elements is tied to what's happening in the main render. I was trying to quickly crank out frames that would allow me to mask and tweak specific materials in some shots that we already rendered at high quality. I ended up making a copy of the scene and replacing all the materials with self-illuminated ones, with no GI, or lighting. It rendered quickly and worked fine.
                          - Geoff

Comment

Working...
                          X