Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty and grainy

Hi All,

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone!

I have some time off and wanted to post some images. I am testing out creating some animations of a space. I have never done animations before so this is all new to me. You can see the entry and furniture stills taken from the animation are very dirty and grainy compared to the still image.

What should settings should I be tweaking to clean that up? When I am creating the LC and IR files what settings should I be using for them?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks all

Alex
    Attached Files
    Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex,

You are doing an indoor scene where most light is coming from the outside, which is the hardest type of scene to get a clean GI that is not splotchy and dirty looking.
    You will generally always need to increase the Hsph Subdivisions of ALL GI methods when rendering a scene like this as the default subdivision is too low.
    Depending on your Vray version the Default is usually around 50 but I have found through years of experience that most of my interiors need about 120-180 Hsph Subdivisions samples [IR] to get them looking perfect. Use a Raw-Global Illumination render element to check the quality of the gi when rendering as this will help you see what's happening.
    The light Cache may also need to be increased with this type of scene although if it is used as second bounce then the quality is not as important. Most of the GI result comes from the first bounce so make sure you have enough samples for your irradiance map.
    Be aware also that more samples will slow down render times unfortunately this cannot be avoided
    I would also change the default min and max rate on the irradiance map to something like min 6 and max 2 This will achieve a much smoother GI on the walls & ceilings as currently your scene looks like the min rate is to low.

Hope this helps you to understand things better There is never any substitute to understanding the basics of how GI works, so I would suggest some light reading to get a bit more knowledgeable about things, as it will help you immensely.

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by 3DMK; 01-01-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

In addition to what 3DMK posted it is important to know what is the type of the animation(Fly-Through, Moving Objects etc) and what approach is used for GI calculation.
      There is a Tutorials Section in V-Ray Documentation page here with a separate tutorial about each type of animation - it might be a good idea to check them out.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the info, I will look into all of this today. I was on holiday for a awhile.
        Will let you know how I make out.

Cheers,
        Alex
        Cheers

Alex

Comment

Thanks Sveltozar.

Yes I did check them out, I will go back and again to review. They are very helpful.

Thanks!
          Cheers

Alex

Comment

Working...
          X