frit and moire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frit and moire

ive got a view out of an office floor window. client has helpfully added a graduated frit, running from 3mm dots at the bottom to 1mm dots at the top, and wants it to be "accurate"

of course its an enormous mess of eye tickling moire patterns when i render, no matter how high i crank the aa.

whats the best way to deal with this? soft aa filter? i dont want to lose the dots entirely as the client will definitely complain he cant see them.

cubic AA filter seems to be a good compromise between smooshyness and moire. im just going to have to bite the bullet and attempt to explain moire to an architect. he will still want me to fix it though. ill have to suggest rendering at 150,000 pixels wide. and then i can blame his monitor.

Comment

There's also a few types of filtering - the lovely chaos folks introduced a new type in vray 3.1 - if you use the hdri loader as your bitmap loader, there's a new type of filtering called "eliptical" in the processing section of the parameters which could help. A raised minimum AA can help finding small details too.

Comment

ahh i settled on fixed aa at 10 subdivs.. looks good aa wise and renders faster than adaptive.. i did consider the elliptical filter, but i needed to get the render out, and actually it looks ok now ive got the cubic AA filter on there.

i do have an issue wth the imap being quite blotchy on the frit though.. however i think once ive got it comped in a brightened it wont be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          There's also a few types of filtering - the lovely chaos folks introduced a new type in vray 3.1 - if you use the hdri loader as your bitmap loader, there's a new type of filtering called "eliptical" in the processing section of the parameters which could help. A raised minimum AA can help finding small details too.
          Totally missed that... fantastic.

Comment

Working...
          X