Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real time rendering with unreal 4... Is there any point to vray anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Vray or Chaos Engine... simple solution!

Comment

If that was the case, hand up for Chaos Engine! Way more promising than Unreal Vray

Stan
      3LP Team

Comment

The way Vlado does c++ plugs driving home on his smartphone like here :
        http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...402#post666402

Let's tap him in the back, wait a few days, he will come up with a unreal killer made by chaosgroup

"Vlaaaddoooooooooo, what do you want to drink? or a snack maybe?"

Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          360, Alioscopic and in 16k.
          Why curtail expectations, i wonder. ^^
          Overkill. If I can render 120fps, then I can just render each eye in real-time without any lag.
          Gavin Greenwalt
          im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
          Straightface Studios

Comment

Originally posted by im.thatoneguy View Post
            Overkill. If I can render 120fps, then I can just render each eye in real-time without any lag.
            No you can't. You actually need > 90 fps for smooth VR per eye, so at least 180 fps total.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

interesting,
              Going from 24 to 48 or 60 fps, feels already more like real
              does this means that past the 90 fps, the eyes can't feel the difference in that "real look"?

Stan
              3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                does this means that past the 90 fps, the eyes can't feel the difference in that "real look"?
                I don't know about that; you just don't get a headache Anything below 90 fps and with the HTC Vive you start feeling dizzy and nauseous.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Ah haaaaa, well it's true I feel a bit dizzy and nauseous with my oculus DK2

Would you reckon the HTC Vive is the best one on the market right now in that regard? Or for any other reason as well?
                  Juts out of curiosity, if you had to bet, what would be the one you'd buy in 6 months?

Stan
                  3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                    Would you reckon the HTC Vive is the best one on the market right now in that regard? Or for any other reason as well? Juts out of curiosity, if you had to bet, what would be the one you'd buy in 6 months?
                    It depends on what's available, doesn't it It also depends on your intended use. So far I've only tried the DK2, HTC Vive and the GearVR; they all have specific usage scenarios. The DK2 is useful if you plan to sit at a desk and just need a little bit of parallax effects. You could, for example, easily imagine many people in an office having a DK2 at their desks. Whereas the Vive allows much greater freedom in the virtual world, but it needs dedicated space to set it up, so most likely one installation will be shared by many people.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

The key to any offline render software success in this climate is to embrace VR. There is much to be said for synthetically produced 3d 360 animation and stills, with far reduced production times than using a rasterizing engine like Unreal, and zero performance issues. Also quality levels that really are uncanny valley especially with animation. Such animations blow everything currently available for VR out of the water. Having said that we will see offline real-time solutions soon (its not a misnomer!) such as Brigade from OTOY but Vray is biased so has a number of advantages there also.

If people want interactive simulation then an engine is the only way, and Unity is the best option by far. use flatiron to bake out your scenes (http://www.texturebaking.com/features-benefits/) for a fast and effective pipe to VR.
                      The reason 90% of (wise) devs use Unity for VR? in two words - 'forward renderer' GPUs are just not ready to push deferred engines to even the modest resolutions of current HMD's so just avoid.

Take a look at the 'making of showdown' to understand why in more detail - it was a 'magic act' that they got it to run. http://www.roadtovr.com/epic-games-s...bay-prototype/

thanks
                      Last edited by deflix; 22-10-2015, 04:11 PM.
                      Immersive media - design and production
                      http://www.felixdodd.com/
                      https://www.linkedin.com/in/felixdodd/

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        I would tell them to simply get photoshop or something. I really don't want to spend time on that - regardless of how many people are waiting for it.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

I remembered this conversation.
                        I think it was what made me want to go to Corona and it's what I didn't like about the merger.

I don't mean to troll. Or rub things on anyone's face.

But it was worrisome back then and it's still today.

The conversation came like this before the quoted comment above:

"

09-03-2015, 08:07 AM

If chaosgroup can make the type of visual effects that unreal can, I think vray wouldn't have to worry for another 10 years.

But the atmosphere effects, bloom, DOF and lens flares in UE4 give your work an amazing look, extremely quickly.

In my opinion, this is what's so appealing to everyone; not the real time part.

Guido.

They are all post-effects. If they work for you, this is great, but I'm not really interested in going there. The goal of V-Ray is to simulate DOF and atmospheric effects accurately, even if this is (much) slower. Bloom you can already do in the VFB, but there are no plans for lens flares.

Best regards,

Vlado

Vlado lets assume there are people waiting to buy vray the moment it has some build in lensflares. How many new adopters would you need in order to make developing such a feature worth it?

Cheers,

Oliver

09-03-2015, 11:14 AM

I would tell them to simply get photoshop or something. I really don't want to spend time on that - regardless of how many people are waiting for it.

Best regards,

Vlado
                        "

Last edited by Lupaz; 03-09-2017, 09:24 AM.
                        Guido.

Comment

That's what I love about this merger. If you want realtime lens flares, Chaosgroup has no problem telling you to go use the product that better suits you. And if it's easily portable the Carona team can "waste" their time developing it and the vray team can integrate it as a largely unsupported render effect.

Vray can focus on being a great 3D renderer and Carona can focus on being a "Make Art" button.
                          Last edited by im.thatoneguy; 03-09-2017, 11:09 AM.
                          Gavin Greenwalt
                          im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
                          Straightface Studios

Comment

I wonder, why nobody think of group hiring C++ coder, with some vray experience to write their own tool/effect etc, since it is quite not a big problem to do that It just will cost you a lil bit of money, but you are totaly free to do whatever you like + chaos guys are always here to help with any questions you got.

It is even a good idea for a startup like this.Voting for a best tool/effect/etc you want for a vray and buy coders time.
                            I just can't seem to trust myself
                            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                            ---------------------------------------------------------
                            CG Artist

Comment

Working...
                            X