Save elements as different extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save elements as different extensions

Is there a way to save out different render elements with different extensions?

Say, for instance I have a Multimatte element, a reflection pass, an RGB pass and a Refraction pass. Ideally I would like to save the Multimatte as a jpg, and the other three as EXR's, but currently, all the files are saved with the same extension.

This is in the Frame Buffer -> Separate Render Channels section of the Render setup.

Thanks,

Jon
    ...learning more every day...

I would NEVER save multi-mattes as JPEGs! save them as TGA is you want 8bit.

Yes there is a way, but it is a massive pain-in-the-ass to do..... for now
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Fair enough. as long as their not as heavy as the exr's. Is that a hint hint that something is in the works for a future release?

Comment

No comment
        Maxscript made easy....
        davewortley.wordpress.com
        Follow me here:
        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Thanks, Dave! Knowledge much appreciated.

Comment

use compressed .exrs, you dont need to do this. multimattes are 3 single, solid colors so they compress really well. on a recent job our base render .exr was 500mb, and the biggest multimatte was 15mb, with most around 9.

Comment

Neil - Are you compositing in PS? Right now I'm using the linked files in PS and with the EXR's, the PS filesize gets huge and the file gets unbearably slow. The images are 6000x4000 and I'm working in 16bit space. I haven't tried the TGA's as Dave has suggested, but I'm hoping that helps out both on filesize and file speed.

Comment

+1 for this, I'd like some as .exr and some tga. But I'll def try out Neils method and do all as exr and see the sizes we get.

Comment

Working...
                X