Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does texture baking in Max support UDIM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does texture baking in Max support UDIM?

As the subject says, if I have Uvs in quadrants other than 0 to 1, can I have the vray texture baking bakke for those quadrants. From my testing it seems the answer is no.

- Neil

We do this in Maya, because we have our own RTT UI, but not in 3ds Max. The RTT dialog doesn't allow to specify the UV range. We could write our own RTT dialog at some point in 3ds Max too.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks. I'll add that as a wish for vray, and I'll poke autodesk to see if they could add UDIM support to their RTT dialog.

- Neil

Comment

Would writing your own RTT dialog also allow you to add PTEX baking support?

- Neil

Comment

Technically, yes. Though I don't know of anyone using this feature in Maya yet.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, if you rewrite the RTT dialog for max to allow for UDIM and PTEX baking, I'm sure a lot of people will test the UDIM, and I'll certainly give the PTEX baking a full workout.

- Neil

Comment

I do have a script that Bakes all the UV and UDIM Tiles to VRayComplete Maps. I'll try finish it at some point, it simply uses the UV_Xform modifier to shift the UVs around and bakes them for each tile.

Would probably be good if other elements could be added as well I guess, but it removes the low-resolution baking option in the max RTT window.
              Maxscript made easy....
              davewortley.wordpress.com
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Working...
              X