Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering over the Internet

Hello,

I often work from home and the office. Would DR work over the internet? Let say I'm at home on my PC could I use DR with the Office PC?
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas A. Edison

Not sure how the asset handling would work. If transferring of missing assets works in this situation, it might take a long time to transfer
    I've always archived my file, sent it over to the office, and setup DR on a work machine to have it all render there. Then download the final image.
    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

I tried it with amazon render farm. Did not work too well 5 years ago... I dont think anything got better since :- )
      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I did this for years. I simply used Chrome Remote Desptop and ran my office computer from home.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I think he want to send scene from his own PC and use Slaves at work rather than remote control his PC at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal) View Post
            I think he want to send scene from his own PC and use Slaves at work rather than remote control his PC at work.
            Yes, for Backburner and DR.
            Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I figured, but why? If you are using the resources on the other side, why not have it all live there?
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I would mirror the textures drive (maybe use an external and map it to the same letter) and work from home, then zip up the max files, transfer them over using remote desktop to render them in the office while continuing to do work on your home machine.
                Max files compress down to under 5%, if you dont need to transfer assets you're looking at 20-30mb transfers tops. more if you make a proxy or maps at home but if it's client comments and changes you should be able to work pretty quickly like this. DR doesnt really work over a network, and letting it automatically transfer maps and stuff is not worth it.

I dont even bother mirroring a drive - i've worked on scenes at home with none of the maps able to load, assigning materials then sent it back to render in time for monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  I figured, but why? If you are using the resources on the other side, why not have it all live there?
                  A few reasons, my power bill will go up and also my my employer just got me a 17,000 dollar PC I dough they will let me take it home.
                  It would be nice be able to work my home office and use that new Dual Xeon 28 Core machine as the muscle.
                  Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                    I would mirror the textures drive (maybe use an external and map it to the same letter) and work from home, then zip up the max files, transfer them over using remote desktop to render them in the office while continuing to do work on your home machine.
                    Max files compress down to under 5%, if you dont need to transfer assets you're looking at 20-30mb transfers tops. more if you make a proxy or maps at home but if it's client comments and changes you should be able to work pretty quickly like this. DR doesnt really work over a network, and letting it automatically transfer maps and stuff is not worth it.

I dont even bother mirroring a drive - i've worked on scenes at home with none of the maps able to load, assigning materials then sent it back to render in time for monday morning.
                    That sounds good. could I use Backburner to send the scene? I know it compress and zip the file to the Manager.
                    Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The size of scene dont matter if u mirror all and so on. The problem is network latency, ping and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                        That sounds good. could I use Backburner to send the scene? I know it compress and zip the file to the Manager.
                        never tried. I drop the max file on google drive, open remote desktop, grab the max file and just press render. maybe switch on dr for the other machines in the office with it.
                        can keep doing other things on my home machine and check in periodically that way.

Comment

-mirror assets
                          -work with xrefs and copy your files to your office network
                          -the file that you want to send using backburner has only cameras, lights and xrefs so it's very small and easy to send it over the Internet
                          if you want to change or update the model because you have xrefs only you have to send the updated xrefs and from BB you re-start the view and you are done.
                          show me the money!!

Comment

Thanks! I plan to mirror assets on both PC's and use backburner does anyone know how to configure my home PC to connect to Backburner at the office?

I would really appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
                            Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but this seems interesting (I think it has English language switch inside the software):

I think this software allows you to send your file over the internet directly to your renderfarm (or workstation) to render the scene automatically without all the remote desktop, zip and unzip stuff. The concept looks very similar to rebusfarm solution, your scene and textures get uploaded to the server and then can be submitted to render on renderfarm via internet, once finished I think your final image can be downloaded.
                              Last edited by artmaknev; 28-03-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X