Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Glass (like skyscrapers)

Hi,

Anybody have an idea on how to make a material that mimics the exact behaviour of mirrorglass? Aka being very reflective on 1 side but normal glass on the other side. Also when a light shines from the inside it behaves like normal glass and it's more or less how normal glass should look like. Would this involve 2 materials and 1 side of the glass pane has other properties?
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

It's achieved with various coatings, but in 3D you could just simply increase the IOR from the usual ~1.5
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

We do all our glass in post. Use the interior brightness as a mask for the opacity of a fully reflective pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
        We do all our glass in post. Use the interior brightness as a mask for the opacity of a fully reflective pass.
        That's a nice method, do you use the blending layer options, blend if to control the visibility? I guess you render a no glass and a mirror glass with mask/use render mask and layers? Pretty much what we do, but the blend if if a nice touch.

Comment

I think I'm going to just create 2 materials, 1 mirrorlike, 1 glasslike, and where there's light I'm going to change the material, that will be the most 'realistic' I think. I don't work that much with passes in postproduction, though I know I should sometimes.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by m_hinks View Post
            That's a nice method, do you use the blending layer options, blend if to control the visibility? I guess you render a no glass and a mirror glass with mask/use render mask and layers? Pretty much what we do, but the blend if if a nice touch.
            We dont - but pretty much do the same thing. we copy the layers underneath and paste that into a folder mask. gives us a little more control for adjusting the contrast & brushing areas in/out, and it's much easier to keep track of whats happening. recreating it is 2 keyboard shortcuts if the render changes. used to do the automatic blending option but this gives more control.

Comment

Working...
            X