Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Vray DR in a studio environment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Vray DR in a studio environment.

Hi there,

Let me first outline the scenario:

So we're a team of around 8 working mainly on high resolution stills, so the workflow throughout the day tends to be fairly ad-hoc, generally managing DR node availability amongst ourselves. perhaps using the Max Server Limit.

Overnight the final stills will be queued up using backburner. One machine runs backburner server; it loads each job in turn, these jobs have DR enabled so the full farm and workstations are utilised.

OK so this works well, but there is just one niggle. For example in the morning, the last nights jobs haven't completed and are still going. This is fine I can just turn spawner off on my workstation, but a problem arises when I need part of the render farm to do some DR work, to maybe render a patch, or a draft. I don't want to stop last nights render as it is 4 hours through a 6 hour render. I can try restarting spawners on some of the render farm, but whether it picks up my current job or last nights render it completely random.

So, I thought, let's just create a firewall rule, block port 20204 and 20205 from the IP of the machine running backburner server (where last nights render is still going) But try as I might I can't seem to successfully block it. Although I do seem to be able to block my own IP from the same spawner.

I am confused, does Vray DR work on a different port when rendering from backburner perhaps? If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

Dan

Easier solution, venerate Vlado : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjSIklB7F58

Just waiting for it to be implemented, maybe in SP2?

Stan
    3LP Team

Comment

OK well that looks ideal!! Great work as always Vlado!

In the meantime though I am still curious as to why I don't seem able to block distribution requests from the aforementioned machine.

Comment

You should be able to block it. The V-Ray DR spawner port is 20204, no matter if you submitted through BackBurner or not.
        What type of firewall rule are you creating and on which machine?
        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I was creating a TCP blocking rule on 20204 (inbound and outbound) using windows firewall on a DR slave.

Not to worry, the storm (major deadline) has passed now and hopefully we will have the new DR feature by the time the next one comes around.

Comment

We tested the blocking rule here and it seems to work fine.
            Anyway in case you want assistance with that issue feel free to send us an e-mail to: support@chaosgroup.com
            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for looking into it for me. I will double check the firewall rules are working properly.

Comment

Working...
              X