Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color mapping - useless with reflections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color mapping - useless with reflections?

Hi.

Color mapping could be a great tool for contrast control, but I don't know if I'm missing something or what.

This image shows a box with a totally reflective material (vray material).
    With color mapping in "linear multiply" mode, the box is so reflective that you can't see it, and that is ok. When color mapping is in exponential mode, everything, includeing the backround goes darken. When unchecking "afect background" the background turns bright again, but the reflections stay dark (see image). So, is color mapping usleless with reflective objects (window glass for example)
    I went insane, because my windows were allways dark! the porblem was in reflections and not in refraction.

Thanks in advanced.

there should be a way to exclude the environment reflections from the colour mapping, this problem is even more pronounced when using an HDRI background as it can result in fluorescent reflections. Or better, local per material environment maps.
    Richard De Souza

www.themanoeuvre.com

Comment

Is there a way to exclude objects from exponential color mapping? that could be a way to get good reflections and not dark ones, right?
      Is there other way?

Comment

one way may be to render your reflections in a second pass with the rest of your mod as mattes and Linear mapping on...

bit of a drag if you have a lot of animation
        'mmm, should have opened it in Notepad'
        www.osmosis.com.au

Comment

MOOSE!! Just the one I was thinking of!! I've followed your tutorial about exterior lighting.
          I just can't make my windows to get good reflections.
          How is it that you do to reflect the sky? Don't you get dark windows with lame reflections? I've read every topic about reflections, refractions, windows, glass, and color mapping, and noticed that many people has the same problem as I, but found no good answers.
          I think the problem is that the reflectons are dark because the exponential color mapping, but I just don't know.

I can't believe getting good reflections in VRay is that hard!!!

Comment

Bowcat, you've set your environment map to 'screen' change it to something else such as 'spherical' and you should get decent reflections.

Comment

What environment do you use? it might be a stupid question, but with vray I got max´s environment, vray´s reflection/refracion environment, and the environment in the vray material.
              And, if it is max´s or vray´s, you change to sherical with an instanced material, or you use an other way?

Thanks!!

Comment

In theroy where ever you are using the env map just drag it from there into the ME and make it an instance and change it to spherical.

-dave
                Cheers,
                -dave
                ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I think it´s working!
                  I miss Brazil´s reflections though

Thanks all of ya!

Comment

You miss them Where did they go

--Jon

Comment

that's what I'm trying to find out

Comment

Working...
                      X