ObjID Matte is harsh in Max 2016 with V Ray 3.20.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ObjID Matte is harsh in Max 2016 with V Ray 3.20.02

I rendered a scene a few weeks ago when I was running V Ray 3.10.03 in Max 2016 as I waited for the official update. It seemed to work very well and I had no issues.

Like all of you, recently I updated Max 2016 with the V Ray 3.20.02 update. Now rendering the same scene, my MatID mattes are really chunky along the edges. I've spent 3 hours tonight trying to diagnose it and have had no luck.

I rendered a simple scene and then exported it back to Max 2015 and rendered it. Attached is the result. I think there may be an AA bug in V Ray 3.20.02.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	aa-issues.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	881932
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

2016 image seems to be scaled, are those renders the same size?

Comment

The max 2016 image seems to be half the resolution, like Codi pointed out. Can you post renders with the same resolution? I don't think there are any changes related to that between the two releases.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The 2015 render was scaled just a tiny bit to make them "exactly" the same size. I laid them over each other and the 2015 render for some odd reason was just about 5% smaller. Not sure why, I rendered the exact same file and settings. Anyway, I can't re-render as I've now upgraded Max 2015 to V3.20 also in an effort to diagnose. I could revert but don't have time this week.

Let me do a new test and see what I come up with. I did completely uninstall V Ray from both Max 2015 and Max 2016, clean out leftovers, reboot and reinstall. I'm finishing up a job this week that doesn't need MatIDs so right now I'm not sure the status. I'll do a test later this week and post it. Maybe the reinstall corrected it. I'll know soon.

I just posted to see if anyone else had noticed the issue. Hopefully I'm the only one. I'll do that test soon so we know.
        V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Comment

I've gone ahead and done a simple test. The results are now more normal. You can see it below.

I think the way to interpret my issue is this. I installed the 3.2 update overtop of the Max 2015 3.1 version that I forced into Max 2016 while I waited for the official update release. That 3.1 version worked perfectly in Max 2016 as far as the work I was doing. I didn't run across any anomalies. After I installed 3.2 in Max 2016 the issue was apparent. I've now completely uninstalled 3.2 and cleaned out residual files from both versions. I then reinstalled cleanly. Now the issue seems to be gone for now.

The take away for others is, don't install the update over Max 1016 if you've done like I did and forced the 3.1 version into Max 2016. Do an uninstall, clean up and reboot. Then do a clean install of the 3.2 version into Max 2016.

If the issue returns I'll report it here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Block_Render[VRayMtl]_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	856354

Comment

Originally posted by Codi View Post
            2016 image seems to be scaled, are those renders the same size?
            No, not scaled. But that was the issue. It looked like that. Not good for sure. But, since the clean install i think I'm OK now.

Comment

Working...
            X